When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Schwinn 20" tall prewar cycle truck ?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
schwinn cycle truck 1939

14653_1228617188358_1016918916_723177_1635335_n.jpg
Schwinn cycle truck 1939

if anyone is still reading this ..YES I bought it !!! and have carefully stripped almost all the ugly blue paint off this bike so far to find almost all the original red paint in good condition underneath !!!

Glad someone is taking care with it. It would have been a shame to see someone pimp out such a nice rare original.

thanks!! I was lucky enough that the seller was coming up my way within 80 miles from me and offered to bring it with them. was advertised on eBay "no shipping" what a deal !! I have since acquired a very nice prewar large basket and a nice unrestored prewar mesinger seat that fits the patina very well. the rims are both lobdell the front cleaned up fairly well but the rear needs replaced. I have a better one but could use even a better one yet..

post some before and after pics.

lets see some pics of the bikes progress . and good job ,cool bike.

thanks!! I was lucky enough that the seller was coming up my way within 80 miles from me and offered to bring it with them. was advertised on eBay "no shipping" what a deal !! I have since acquired a very nice prewar large basket and a nice unrestored prewar mesinger seat that fits the patina very well. the rims are both lobdell the front cleaned up fairly well but the rear needs replaced. I have a better one but could use even a better one yet..

schwinn 20" tall cycle truck ?

it might take me a little time to get some on here. I will have to get some help from a friend, I don't know exactly how to put pics on here yet. yesterday I almost completed taking off all the blue paint. now I have to take off the wheels and maybe the fenders and turn the bike upside down to get to all the little nooks and cranny's I couldn't get to. I took Meguiars 7 show car glaze to part of the sign and it brought out quite a nice shine to the original paint !! I believe the rest will do the same. I will try to get some pics soon.....

20" tall Cycle Truck

I'd still like to see pics of how that clean up came out. I've been looking more at the long and short head tubes on prewar Cycle Truck frames; I'm suspecting, as someone else had mentioned, that the short headtube was the first 1-2 years of production (39-40). In a 1939 ad that mentions the 18" and 20" frames, it shows the bike with 3 straps on the sign board and the short head tube.

I sure wish I could some production numbers for the 20" tall frames as well as the power CT frames.

Schwinn offered custom ordered options back in those days as well as the tall frames. Who knows what other variations or one-offs might exist.

And on the serial numbers...I fear the prewar numbers will never be reliably decoded. Even the postwar numbers were known to repeat themselves 2 or even 3 times.

I've been into Schwinns all my life and into Cycle Trucks for 22+ years and I'm still learning. I'd never seen a 20" frame until last year. (I've owned a copy of Getrude Vorgang's book for 25 years with the '39 ad mentioning the 20" frame, so I knew they existed.) Then in the last year I've seen 3 tall CT's for sale on eBay. The complete blue one that a CABE member luckily got, the black frame/fork with the incorrect kidney bean sprocket and the primered bare frame with 'gussets added' which I snagged for a song and am currently repairing. (someone in the past had welded 5/8" steel plate between the seatpost clamp & the top fender bridge and the crank hanger & the bottom fender bridge!)

Regarding prewar sign boards- those lucky enough to have originals with their bikes; has anyone come across an aluminum one or have they all been steel? I've heard about thick aluminum boards on prewars.

20" tall prewar cycle truck

I'd still like to see pics of how that clean up came out. I've been looking more at the long and short head tubes on prewar Cycle Truck frames; I'm suspecting, as someone else had mentioned, that the short headtube was the first 1-2 years of production (39-40). In a 1939 ad that mentions the 18" and 20" frames, it shows the bike with 3 straps on the sign board and the short head tube.

I sure wish I could some production numbers for the 20" tall frames as well as the power CT frames.

Schwinn offered custom ordered options back in those days as well as the tall frames. Who knows what other variations or one-offs might exist.

And on the serial numbers...I fear the prewar numbers will never be reliably decoded. Even the postwar numbers were known to repeat themselves 2 or even 3 times.

I've been into Schwinns all my life and into Cycle Trucks for 22+ years and I'm still learning. I'd never seen a 20" frame until last year. (I've owned a copy of Getrude Vorgang's book for 25 years with the '39 ad mentioning the 20" frame, so I knew they existed.) Then in the last year I've seen 3 tall CT's for sale on eBay. The complete blue one that a CABE member luckily got, the black frame/fork with the incorrect kidney bean sprocket and the primered bare frame with 'gussets added' which I snagged for a song and am currently repairing. (someone in the past had welded 5/8" steel plate between the seatpost clamp & the top fender bridge and the crank hanger & the bottom fender bridge!)

Regarding prewar sign boards- those lucky enough to have originals with their bikes; has anyone come across an aluminum one or have they all been steel? I've heard about thick aluminum boards on prewars.

Hi cycletrucklarry.. I'm the one that bought the blue one and all the blue paint is now gone. sorry for not posting pics yet, I got side tracked and now I'm working long hours . I just bought another tall frame and should have it later this week or next week. its a bit rougher then the blue one but still has the original sign board and only missing the chain guard and original sprocket. it is a small basket one where the blue one was originally a large basket one ( which it is again ) when I saw the small basket one I had to have it so I could have one of each. lol .. both have the taller necks. I know of the other two frames you mentioned and I saw the short neck frame you bought. I wondered why someone welded those plates on it ??? hope you get them off okay .. every original sign board I have is steel but I have read in original advertising stateing that the sign boards were aluminum .

Last edited:
20" tal Cycle Trucks

JKT, I'm glad you got that blue one. I hear you about working long hours. I'm packing to sell my house and have to pack up all my projects and tools. Although I am working on removing those gussets from that frame, (my fiancee will kill me if she knows I'm still working on a bike, let alone bought another one.) I'll post some pics of a before and after. I couldn't believe they used 5/8" solid steel plate. Where did you find another one? You're on the East coast, right?

Back