When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Schwinn 24” boys frame questions

-

Danny the schwinn freak

cruisin on my ratty Schwinn straightbar
Hello all. I picked this boys scheinn frame the other day in a multiple bike deal. I was wondering why it has the rear brake caliper mount on it? I never knew 24” bikes had handbrakes. It’s an earlier frame, I think. Just wondering what the deal is. It has only one wheel and it’s an S-7. If anyone knows or has any interest in it, let me know. Just trying to figure out what it is so I know how to list it. Thank you.

118B7BA9-000C-4FA8-8BF1-0E524105C2F7.jpeg

EABE1D85-AA0C-4C92-BA0D-D8EB7E0FF051.jpeg

The early Corvettes and Tigers were offered in a 24" three speed. The 24" American also had two speeds but never a rear caliper and if it was like it's 26" big brother, it would've also had the rear caliper bracket.

The early Corvettes and Tigers were offered in a 24" three speed. The 24" American also had two speeds but never a rear caliper and if it was like it's 26" big brother, it would've also had the rear caliper bracket.
Hmmmm that’s true. It’s a funky little frame either way. I kinda like it.

Just a thought. The 24" models were also offered with the Bendix manual two speed, and most of those would come with the bridge you show on the rear. All three sizes of the Flying Star came with this bridge, and I need to look and see if that hub was offered on the 20" model.

I just looked, and the 20" model is not even listed! Oh, well. It's sitting in the shed and did not have the "Multi-Speed" rear hub in it when I got it. The 24 was a coaster brake only, and the 26 inch one still has it.

REC

Corvette also came as 2 speed manual bendex in 24" size with that plain, Jr. size, chain guard too. . I have a 1955 girl's I been looking for that frame to make the sex change.

Last edited:
Solved! I picked it up fm Danny. at first I thought, for how dang hard the blue paint is, not on fenders but frame Schwinn's regular blue, 'china blue' , or whatever and couldn't stop wondering why it has some type of puke yellow under the blue.. Some really hard, like baked on finish paint colors. It don't chip! And various solvents can't loosen it too. Yet, the other day I was messing with it, the blue is so thin ya can almost completely sand it off to reveal all the puke yellow, like some ol rare color but, puke or baby spit yellow?

Anyway there was an old city of Tucson serial number sticker on seat post, (silver in Danny's photo) and it looked like the yellow was under it too, but, it turns out; not. I can't find any color under the yellow crap anywhere else on the frame yet, , just bare metal, but for all the lack of paint under it, whoever put this seriously well stuck and hard yellow crap on, did not remove that sticker. And, I should add, Where can I get hard butt paints like these two? Jezz, maybe 50-60's auto enamel, the real stuff!

Low and behold, it's freakin Opal Blue! Its Schwinn serial dates it to Aug 1954. That makes it; the oldest or dang close to, 24" Schwinn Corvette/American/Tiger known to exist.

P4080133.JPG

P4090138.JPG

Last edited:
Looks kinda neat in the last photo. Well, all the photos. I love old hillbilly paint jobs. Let me know if you're going to cut it loose!

Looks kinda neat in the last photo. Well, all the photos. I love old hillbilly paint jobs. Let me know if you're going to cut it loose!

Back