When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Schwinn 3v horn repair

-

Tom Hand

Finally riding a big boys bike
Hello, are there any horn repair geniuses on the CABE? I suspect the horn on the Schwinn I just bought may be broken internally. Does anyone sell new ones or rebuild these? Thank you,
Tom Hand

I'm not a horn genius but few I've repaired the hardest part is getting it open.
Once open only thing inside is a coil of wire and the diaphragm. First thing is check coil with an ohmmeter to be sure it's ok. Continuity check either end of coil, should be less than 100 ohms. It's just an electromagnet. Diaphragm in center has a contact point. Points are closed, with power flowing through coil points open, then shut again. This makes the diaphragm vibration buzz. One coil end is the wire exiting horn, other end of coil is center contact point. This touches diaphragm point which goes to metal case.
The adjustment screw changes tension on point contact.
Ones I fixed the points had to be lightly sanded (corrosion).
To open it I used different things, side cutters, a small chisel, etc. Before putting it together I tried it on 3 volts, from lead wire to metal case, holding diagram in place.
Back together a very small hammer, turning it around in a vice peening it back together.

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

Bicycle Bones has different voltage horn parts to replace bad ones, cheap!

Thanks for all the help. I got the new aftermarket 3 volt DC version from Bicyclebones and it works fine. I'll tear the old coil apart on the OEM one and rewind it another day when I am bored.
Tom Hand

Back