When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Schwinn 40/41 high lo drum front hub recently laced is off center....help???

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Fifthcenturycheese

Look Ma, No Hands!
I recently laced a 40/41 hi lo front drum hub in a drop center rim using 10 5/8 or 270mm stainless spokes. Someone on here mentioned you can use the same length spokes for both sides of the hub, being a 4 cross and 3 cross pattern. I'm finding that the lo side of the hub is really close to the inside of the fork, axle is not centered. Any ideas on this would be appreciated, thanks, Mike

I recently laced a 40/41 hi lo front drum hub in a drop center rim using 10 5/8 or 270mm stainless spokes. Someone on here mentioned you can use the same length spokes for both sides of the hub, being a 4 cross and 3 cross pattern. I'm finding that the lo side of the hub is really close to the inside of the fork, axle is not centered. Any ideas on this would be appreciated, thanks, Mike
Without a picture it's difficult to visualize what your saying. I have never heard of using two different cross patterns on the same wheel? Seems like you would have a difficult time during "pull up, and then during "truing". The right and left sides would be twisting differently. The hub, with proper axle width spacing should fit the fork, with or without spokes and a rim being installed. It should not have any effect on how close it is to the fork. You need figure out the hub and fork fit before you move on to lacing the wheel.

My advice is to go back and calculate your spoke length again. Measure the rim diameter at the spoke nipple center. Measure the right side of the hub diameter at the spoke circle and do the left side as well. Use only one cross pattern and then calculate each side separately. You could do the calculations with both 3x and 4x to figure out if you can use a commonly available spoke without custom cutting/threading. Use a online calculator if you do not have access to a Phil Wood spoke calculator.

John

It’s been a while since I’ve done one but spoke length is correct. I was thinking both sides were four across but could be wrong. @markivpedalpusher could probably tell you how this is done.

Somewhere I have a set of spokes removed from a hi/lo drum. I'll have to measure for you when I find them. I think they are 3x hi flange and 4x lo flange, but I definitely don't lace those often. I think the drum flange is too large to lace 4x so I doubt it's a matter of lacing it backwards. Hhmmm
Best thing I can say without seeing it or having spokes in hand to compare is a dish gauge is your friend! Especially for different size flanged hubs. Hopefully you're just missing a spacer.

I am just finishing up a pair of drum hub rims. For spokes I had grabbed a 24 wheel from caber spokes and just added the early long two sided nips , Didn't go as smoothly as I wanted but was able to get them spinning.
As the wheel was coming together you could see it off to one side, so then I repositioned the spoke in the next spot and it pulled hub over and I started from there .

Check out this thread

A dishing tool is a very good tool. Anyone building wheels should have one. They are not hard to make if you are on a budget.

But, that said, all you have to do to check your wheel dish is to put the wheel in your frame/fork, measure the distance from the rim to the frame/fork edge. THEN REVERSE the wheel and repeat the measurements, compare the difference and that will tell you how much you are off (50% of the difference). Also, WHEEL DISH, is not actually a good term to use because you are not DISHING the wheel, but actually CENTERING THE HUB INTO THE RIM.

John

10 5/8" has been the standard length for a 26", 36 hole, cross 4 FRONT wheel, forever. I'm not understanding why we are having a problem with this wheel build? (10 19/32" was our old standard length spoke).

One thing that is very difficult to see is where to place the first spoke on the second flange you lace, because it is a Hi-Lo hub. Normally you can easily see that the two flanges are drilled "one half a hole off" from each other. That's not easy to see on a Hi-Lo hub. The only way in my mind that you could possibly do a 3x and a 4x on the same wheel (with the same size spoke) is to have the first spoke on the second flange dropped into the wrong hole.

Sorry for the explanation, it's confusing to explain verbally.

John

Back