When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Schwinn 40/41 high lo drum front hub recently laced is off center....help???

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Done a few high low and used same spokes and I believe it was 4cross and 3cross if my memory serves correctly….good luck

Yeah, the Hi/Lo is a bit tricky, because of the need to fit the spoke ends elbow first into the low flange side, but if you are building a fully tangent 4 cross pattern, then the spokes used, are the same length for both flanges.
The centerline/dish, gets taken care of during the tensioning/truing process.
If one side is cross 3, the a different length spoke would need to be used on that side.

I recently laced a 40/41 hi lo front drum hub in a drop center rim using 10 5/8 or 270mm stainless spokes. Someone on here mentioned you can use the same length spokes for both sides of the hub, being a 4 cross and 3 cross pattern. I'm finding that the lo side of the hub is really close to the inside of the fork, axle is not centered. Any ideas on this would be appreciated, thanks, Mike
I guess the dimensions of the hub in use need to be clarified. There are 2 different size Schwinn hi/lo flange hubs and a few Sturmey versions. The spokes I have are from a rear, so they may be different..

Find us these dimensions and I'll be able to confirm length. O.L.D. is Over Locknut Dimension, aka how wide your fork needs to be to fit your hub.

Screenshot_20230306-152528.png

Like John said no need to calculate anything-10 5/8" is all I've ever used both front and rear and I have done a few high-lows both sizes. Like John, I'm thinking you are starting the other side in the wrong place.
Others have suggested I started the low side lacing with the wrong hole will revisit that. Attatched are pictures of what it currently looks like off center in a fork. A cross 4 was used on the hi side and a cross 3 was used on the low side. I appreciate all the input on this , thank you very much!

hiloA.jpg

hiloB.jpg

hiloC.jpg

hiloD.jpg

hiloE.jpg

hiloF.jpg

Back