When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Schwinn 5 speed Corvette White!

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well crap! I thought I was going to be able to add another rare find to the really short existing list! 😉 Beautiful job on this from start to finish Bob. And I'm really starting to like the White too.

Here's the rare list. There are three frames known with the May 61 serial numbers and I have one of them, but it was not built when the other two were built since mine had the standard markings. These May frames were the first Corvette 5's

This one was for sale on the old Pacific Schwinn Bike Forum by member Kbrays. Every single person on that site said this was a total fake and after a few weeks I believe he gave up selling on the site and listed it on eBay. It did eventually sell to a collector, name unknown, and then it was later purchased by Jerry of Memory Lane Classics. The chain guard markings and the seat tube decal are the early proto's. I'm not sure if there was originally a gear shift decal or not or if that was added at some point later.
There are only two of these known and @vincev has the other one.

Then there is this one, the only 1963 Corvette 5 speed known. This has an interesting history and one of the previous owners was a homeless beach bum in Florida.

1963 Was the first year any Corvette was available in Coppertone. Owner: Jeff, @Pedalsnostalgia

Last edited:
Well crap! I thought I was going to be able to add another rare find to the really short existing list! 😉 Beautiful job on this from start to finish Bob. And I'm really starting to like the White too.

Here's the rare list. There are three frames known with the May 61 serial numbers and I have one of them, but it was not built when the other two were built since mine had the standard markings. These May frames were the first Corvette 5's

This one was for sale on the old Pacific Schwinn Bike Forum by member Kbrays. Every single person on that site said this was a total fake and after a few weeks I believe he gave up selling on the site and listed it on eBay. It did eventually sell to a collector, name unknown, and then it was later purchased by Jerry of Memory Lane Classics. The chain guard markings and the seat tube decal are the early proto's. I'm not sure if there was originally a gear shift decal or not or if that was added at some point later.
There are only two of these known and @vincev has the other one. View attachment 1584435

View attachment 1584436

View attachment 1584437

View attachment 1584438

View attachment 1584438

Then there is this one, the only 1963 Corvette 5 speed known. This has an interesting history and one of the previous owners was a homeless beach bum in Florida.

1963 Was the first year any Corvette was available in Coppertone. Owner: Jeff, @Pedalsnostalgia

View attachment 1584439

View attachment 1584440

View attachment 1584441
Mine does not have the gear shift decal.......

Mine does not have the gear shift decal.......
From all the early pictures I had of these first two 5 speeds, I could not see any gear shift decals when these first appeared. The one on Jerry's was most likely added after Kbrays sold it. I believe Schwinn added those when they designed the other special markings.

I'm in the camp that says you should have waited until 1 April. I know that got a lot of people excited though! V/r Shawn

I contemplated waiting and kind of wished I had but then the it's a fake people would have jumped on the date thing. That back and forth would have been fun though. Should have waited in hindsight. Take note I did date the letter April 11 as a small nod to it.

Koolbikes: I went back and forth on mangling the letter up more. Same for putting some scratches on the bike but decided not to. I always planned to post it on Friday and come clean on Monday so decided not to just for a couple day spoof.. Never even thought about a serial number on the letter.

Good job all around! Probably should have dated it April 2nd as the first was a Sunday. I'm sure that would have added to the fun. ... Then let this run till the first.

I had my doubts as you never posted the serial number or added to registry and on the document I feel as if Schwinn knew about the bicycle and had a file, they would have posted the serial number to verify that particular bicycle.
The document looked good, old paper, few tears & stains, but if it was under the seat it would have been folded up a bit more.
Good One ! ... Should have waited until April 1st.
I'm guessing all those other bicycles you have found are "FaKe" too ?
All in Good Fun!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back