When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Schwinn 5 speed hub questions

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Robert Troub

I live for the CABE
Is a 1970's Schwinn Stingray 5 speed hub the SAME hub that's on 1979's Schwinn road bikes, varsity?
Just the Hub ....
Your thoughts are appreciated

The 79 Varsity used high flange hubs. Did the Sting Rays use a high flange hub? The Corvette 5 speed used the same rear hub as the 60-63 Varsity.

The hubs on road bikes are 36 spokes, Stingray (most Schwinn 20"&24" bikes) are 28 spoke rims.
Exceptions are early Stingray 1963/64 (I believe) and Scrambler Stingrays and all the Schwinn BMX bikes are 36 spoke rims.
If you are not restoring 100% or want a bike fat old guys can ride (from experience, I am in that neighborhood so not insulting anyone) you can use a 36 hole S-2 20" rim and a road or touring bike hub and make a durable 5 speed wheel.
The Stingray Hi Risers did not use the high flange hubs, only the BMX versions did.
If I left out anything or made a mistake feel free to respectfully let me know here. No need to PM on that, I am not trying to hide the fact that I do not know everything.
Rob

The hubs on road bikes are 36 spokes, Stingray (most Schwinn 20"&24" bikes) are 28 spoke rims.
Exceptions are early Stingray 1963/64 (I believe) and Scrambler Stingrays and all the Schwinn BMX bikes are 36 spoke rims.
If you are not restoring 100% or want a bike fat old guys can ride (from experience, I am in that neighborhood so not insulting anyone) you can use a 36 hole S-2 20" rim and a road or touring bike hub and make a durable 5 speed wheel.
The Stingray Hi Risers did not use the high flange hubs, only the BMX versions did.
If I left out anything or made a mistake feel free to respectfully let me know here. No need to PM on that, I am not trying to hide the fact that I do not know everything.
Rob
Thanks for the info.....I have several rear wheels, and was wondering if the Hubs would sell better.....tx

Back