When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Schwinn Ace

-
I ordered a chromed feather chain guard from eBay, plus the cross decal that goes in the rounded spot. Do you guys think that is acceptable, or should I be looking for a painted chain guard? Also, if anyone knows where I can find a 26" drop-center rim for the front, I'd be happy as a clam at high tide.
I have a correct feather guard that has been repainted at some point that I would sell. It’s nice and straight and all rivets on brackets are tight.

Thank you for sharing that, Dan. You bike looks great! May I ask what you used to clean it and shine it up?

I used 3000 grit wet/dry sandpaper I bought off Ebay. Clay block, and a good wax. Use plenty of fresh water if you go the wet sandpaper route. The paint will look terrible until you wax it. Be careful you don't sand through. You might lose some details. Notice the pinstripes on my fork all but disappeared.

It is smaller. Now I got to find a 26" wheel, white, with black stripes. Any recommendations for authentic-looking tires?

Been a while since I've shopped for tires other than the Bicyclebones Schwinn tires. I'm digging these Brown and Crème tires with Goodyear style tread. Made by Duro and Fenix.

s-l1600.jpg

Would it be "acceptable" to the purists if I bought a pair of drop-center rims and powdercoated them ivory, then run a pinstripe down each side? What's the status quo on this? I really wish to keep this particular bike as OEM as possible. How does a part like a powdercoated old-school rim affect the overall value, realizing the diminished authenticity? Is just "looking" OEM enough, or is it more valuable and more desirable if its completely OEM?

Quote from the 1948 catalog.

(Un equipped)
Standard DX frame. Truss rods and chrome rims available at extra cost.

If I decide to do chrome rims, should they be drop center? Would it be acceptable to use later rims?

Some will say it has to be drop center rims before 1948 but there are bits of information saying otherwise. The first tubular S-2's were not knurled and they're somewhat hard to find. This is from the 1946 catalog. Bottom left. I personally like the look of the drop center rims on the vintage Schwinns.

1946b_18.jpg

Last edited:
Back