When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Schwinn American - May 2, 1958

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
As I was replacing the front brake pads imprinted Weinmann this weekend that very thought occurred to me as well. Must have been replacements based on the spec sheet.
It could be, but I've seen several other Americans with the same set-up. It makes me wonder if the factory put those on because the rim brakes weren't available for some reason. I guess I'll have to go back and check, as soon as Dr. Brown finishes modifying that DeLorean.

It could be, but I've seen several other Americans with the same set-up. It makes me wonder if the factory put those on because the rim brakes weren't available for some reason. I guess I'll have to go back and check, as soon as Dr. Brown finishes modifying that DeLorean.

Over the years I've heard stories of Schwinn being sued for false advertising over the American. I was at an old Schwinn Dealer's shop in Tempe before he closed up around 2010 and he had a new Coppertone American sitting on the floor with the 100% American Made sticker on the front fender. The store owner mentioned Schwinn getting in trouble and getting slapped for making that claim. I have never come across any information on that situation and I can't say if that actually happened or not. When @chopperMil asked the question of why the American was dropped for a few years, this situation of getting in trouble for the 100% American Made claim popped into my head. If that actually happened, it may have been the reason why the American was taken off the list for 2.5 years after 1958. Schwinn would never install a Swedish brake caliper on the American and the only thing I can think of is if Schwinn was using Union spokes with the U stamped on the butt end that could easily slip by and not be noticed. If anyone has any info on the false advertising claim, that would be awesome.

Also chopperMil, look at the catalog images of these early Americans and check out the shifter cable routing along the top tube. That may be the reason why that cable is longer on yours with all that excess. The girls model did not use a longer cable as some say, it was the same length as the other models when routed along the down tube.

I have no idea why they did that. Quite possibly to coin the name speedster for later use and they didn’t want to add another model to their lineup at that time.
The reason the American model name went away was because Schwinn was going to be sued by the U.S. Trade Commission. Evidentially the Fed's found out the Schwinn American bike model used a quality German made Union bicycle chain (the Diamond Brand chains were no longer available) and they viewed this a misleading advertising.

Seems kind of funny looking back at it today with so many U.S. cars and trucks assembled with off shore built parts, but hey why argue with the government, they just changed the chain guard silk screen.

Schwinn spent a lot of money fighting the government over there right to establish fair trade retail pricing. Went all the way to the Supreme Court. The result was they had to eliminate all of their long time established distributors like Harry Wilson Sales Agency the Southern California and Arizona Schwinn Bicycle distributor. Dropping the American model was a no brainer, too much cost to fight.

John

Over the years I've heard stories of Schwinn being sued for false advertising over the American. I was at an old Schwinn Dealer's shop in Tempe before he closed up around 2010 and he had a new Coppertone American sitting on the floor with the 100% American Made sticker on the front fender. The store owner mentioned Schwinn getting in trouble and getting slapped for making that claim.
Must have been Larry or Keith Earhardt in downtown Tempe. It was originally a Western Auto store until the bicycle sales to ASU students took over. That store lasted for a few generations, great family. Keith was one of the Bill Williams mountain men and made the horse back trip each year for the JC's Rodeo.

Dick Landis opened a second Schwinn store in Tempe later in the 1970's. The Landis family were the largest Schwinn dealers in Arizona and have operated bicycle stores for many generations.

Must have been Larry or Keith Earhardt in downtown Tempe. It was originally a Western Auto store until the bicycle sales to ASU students took over. That store lasted for a few generations, great family. Keith was one of the Bill Williams mountain men and made the horse back trip each year for the JC's Rodeo.

Dick Landis opened a second Schwinn store in Tempe later in the 1970's. The Landis family were the largest Schwinn dealers in Arizona and have operated bicycle stores for many generations.

Yes, that was the Dealer. The last time I was at his store he was thinking about retiring. So you must know Pat Patterson, the Mesa Schwinn dealer. I grew up hanging out at that shop and Pat's youngest son Ken and I were the same age and went to the same schools. Ken and his older brother took over the business when Pat passed away. Their store is no longer unfortunately.

Pat's first location in Mesa, late 50's.

Pat's Bicycle Shop.jpg

The reason the American model name went away was because Schwinn was going to be sued by the U.S. Trade Commission. Evidentially the Fed's found out the Schwinn American bike model used a quality German made Union bicycle chain (the Diamond Brand chains were no longer available) and they viewed this a misleading advertising.

Seems kind of funny looking back at it today with so many U.S. cars and trucks assembled with off shore built parts, but hey why argue with the government, they just changed the chain guard silk screen.

Schwinn spent a lot of money fighting the government over there right to establish fair trade retail pricing. Went all the way to the Supreme Court. The result was they had to eliminate all of their long time established distributors like Harry Wilson Sales Agency the Southern California and Arizona Schwinn Bicycle distributor. Dropping the American model was a no brainer, too much cost to fight.

John

Thanks for clearing this up! I always thought it was the Union made spokes. 🙃

Last edited:
Ken's older brother's name was Don and he ran the Pat's Chandler location. Don and I were about the same age. I was their factory Schwinn Rep up to 1986 when I was transferred to SoCal and worked as the western regional sales manager. The All the Patterson's are a great Schwinn Family, lots of stories.

Ken's older brother's name was Don and he ran the Pat's Chandler location. Don and I were about the same age. I was their factory Schwinn Rep up to 1986 when I was transferred to SoCal and worked as the western regional sales manager. The All the Patterson's are a great Schwinn Family, lots of stories.

The Pattersons were good people. I must have spent at least a hundred hours in their shop over the years, and Pat let me take out a 1963 Lime Sting Ray for a test ride when they first hit the store. Definitely lots of stories.

Yes, that was the Dealer. The last time I was at his store he was thinking about retiring. So you must know Pat Patterson, the Mesa Schwinn dealer. I grew up hanging out at that shop and Pat's yougest son Ken and I were the same age and went to the same schools. Ken and his older brother took over the business when Pat passed away. Their store is no longer unfortunately.

Pat's first location in Mesa, late 50's.

View attachment 1772709

Thanks for clearing this up! I always thought it was the Union made spokes. 🙃
Great picture.. Looks like a 57 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz convertible parked in front 🤗

John
That's interesting. A Google search shows that Diamond is still in business, but it looks like their products are all geared towards industrial applications. Maybe they were like a lot of the U.S. tire companies, when the competition from the far east got serious bicycles weren't enough of a market to be worth the trouble.

Back