When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Schwinn American - May 2, 1958

-
Nice find, the two-speed manual can be a very pleasant hub to go cruising with. Might have been a left-handers bike. Don't know that I've seen more than one or two with the shifter on the left hand side. The other thing I might add is if you need to swap out the shifter cable, make sure the one you're getting is long enough. Believe the cable set-up for the girls bikes was shorter.

Good catch on the shift lever being on the left side.. may want to switch that back to the right and move the brake lever back to the left.. Shift cable may just need to be adjusted properly.. guy may have messed it up trying to swap it over..

Nice find, the two-speed manual can be a very pleasant hub to go cruising with. Might have been a left-handers bike. Don't know that I've seen more than one or two with the shifter on the left hand side. The other thing I might add is if you need to swap out the shifter cable, make sure the one you're getting is long enough. Believe the cable set-up for the girls bikes was shorter.
Thanks for this tip! Much appreciated.

There does seem to be a lot of slack on the shifter cable so maybe it was moved. Thanks again!

Mine is not an American , its a 58 Flying Star , but 1 of my favorite bikes , i prefer the hand shifted 2 speed over the 2 speed kickback

093022165344.jpg

093022165409.jpg

Back