When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Schwinn American - May 2, 1958

-
That's interesting. A Google search shows that Diamond is still in business, but it looks like their products are all geared towards industrial applications. Maybe they were like a lot of the U.S. tire companies, when the competition from the far east got serious bicycles weren't enough of a market to be worth the trouble.
Correct, Maybe I should speak more inclusively.

When I said Diamond Chain went away, I was referring to the fact that the company exited making the #65 1/2 x 1/8" chain for the bicycle industry. I'm certain there was more profit potential making industrial chain. It would be nice if they still made some "3/16 by 1" and "Block chain" for the restorers, but you know that not going to be their priority. Even then, they were under pricing pressure from off shore. Union of Germany ended up with a lot of Schwinn's business. Union was a quality company, but for an early restoration Diamond is the correct part.

General Motors is still in business, but they no longer manufacture New Departure coaster brakes.

John

When I said Diamond Chain went away, I was referring to the fact that the company exited making the #65 1/2 x 1/8" chain for the bicycle industry. I'm certain there was more profit potential making industrial chain. It would be nice if they still made some "3/16 by 1" and "Block chain" for the restorers, but you know that not going to be their priority. Even then, they were under pricing pressure from off shore. Union of Germany ended up with a lot of Schwinn's business. Union was a quality company, but for an early restoration Diamond is the correct part.

General Motors is still in business, but they no longer manufacture New Departure coaster brakes.

John
That makes sense. I've got Goodyear bicycle tires on a couple of old bikes, but I doubt anyone at Goodyear these days has ever even considered making such a thing.

IMG_3009.JPG

IMG_3016.JPG

My first ever restoration was a New World frame just like your photo. The time frame was around 1959, I was a kid, with a bare frame that looked cool to me, and I wanted to build a derailer geared bike. I figured I could squeeze some 27" alloy rims on it by using some short reach 500 side pull brakes. I could not figure out a fork, or a headset that fit. I knew the headset looked like a Schwinn deluxe, but the cup diameter was smaller. Our local Schwinn distributor Harry Wilson Sales did not have the parts. I went to the Schwinn factory (my family was a Schwinn dealer) and told Keith Kingbay my problem. He walked into the factory parts and gave me a New World head set and a new tubular fork to match. As I remember the lower head bearing was a #73 like the top, and not a #2557 like used on the newer Deluxe headsets. That was my first road bike, The next road bike was an Olmo lugged frame, after that it was always Paramount's.

Look at the hand reach on your bike. People must of had huge hands. Big thick grips, and very long reach brake levers. That was one of the CPSC items we had to check assembling bikes during the 1970's. The handle bar gauge could be used sideways to check maximum brake lever reach. The CPSC also nixed the Shark Fin on your front fender. They saw it as a knife edge cutting up small people. That's Government for you, they need to protect you from yourself.

John

My first ever restoration was a New World frame just like your photo. The time frame was around 1959, I was a kid, with a bare frame that looked cool to me, and I wanted to build a derailer geared bike. I figured I could squeeze some 27" alloy rims on it by using some short reach 500 side pull brakes. I could not figure out a fork, or a headset that fit. I knew the headset looked like a Schwinn deluxe, but the cup diameter was smaller. Our local Schwinn distributor Harry Wilson Sales did not have the parts. I went to the Schwinn factory (my family was a Schwinn dealer) and told Keith Kingbay my problem. He walked into the factory parts and gave me a New World head set and a new tubular fork to match. As I remember the lower head bearing was a #73 like the top, and not a #2557 like used on the newer Deluxe headsets. That was my first road bike, The next road bike was an Olmo lugged frame, after that it was always Paramount's.

Look at the hand reach on your bike. People must of had huge hands. Big thick grips, and very long reach brake levers. That was one of the CPSC items we had to check assembling bikes during the 1970's. The handle bar gauge could be used sideways to check maximum brake lever reach. The CPSC also nixed the Shark Fin on your front fender. They saw it as a knife edge cutting up small people. That's Government for you, they need to protect you from yourself.

John
CPSC is Consumer Protection (something) (something)?

John
Since when did gm own New Depature? It's no wonder their such a POS if they designed these brakes..

Back