When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Schwinn American what year.

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Michael MacLeod

On Training Wheels
4FC2B859-D8CA-4E29-AE9F-E0F9F8788E07.jpeg
7305179B-E1D3-4C06-92C9-FE4263BD1140.jpeg
i have in the shop a Coppertone American Schwinn. I believe it’s a 1962 to 1965 however when I do a serial # search (A48275) it comes up a as a 1953. Confusing as I do not see any American models in that years catalog. There also appears to be the start of a hand etching of a maybe “U” in front of the serial #. Thoughts?

1965 was the year they started using the serial numbers with two letters in front, one for the month and one for the year, starting with A for 1965. Before that, starting in 1958, the serial started with a letter for the month, then a number for the year, then five more numbers for the actual serial. When I expand your picture, it looks like the first letter may be a "G", which would date it to July 1965.

The lack of the wrap around seat tube decal is also a dead giveaway it's a 65 model. The crank should have a casting year and the front fork should have a date code on the inside of the left dropout just above the axle slot.

1965 was the year they started using the serial numbers with two letters in front, one for the month and one for the year, starting with A for 1965. Before that, starting in 1958, the serial started with a letter for the month, then a number for the year, then five more numbers for the actual serial. When I expand your picture, it looks like the first letter may be a "G", which would date it to July 1965.

I see the same thing -
GA.jpeg

I have a '65 as well:
65 A15-6 American.JPG

REC

Back