When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

schwinn apehangers

-

OLD PSYCLE

Finally riding a big boys bike
is there any reference here that shows the different style ape hanger handlebars and the years they were made?

I don't think there's any one stop shop....but do you have a picture of what you are trying to identify or of the bike that is missing them?

Just have to check the stingray section, lots of threads to compare pics of bikes/bars.

Reactions: JLF
is there any reference here that shows the different style ape hanger handlebars and the years they were made?
Like stated if you search in the Stingray forum for examples of each year you can see the different bars. That being said too the best of my knowledge and anyone correct me if I'm wrong. The first gen early real wide bars with wide flatter handles were on the bikes. '63-'65. Then gen 2 was the wide style with the very down turned handles '66/'67. Next is the gen 3 style wide with a less turned down handle they can be found anywhere from '68/'69. The last style we will call gen 4 is with the not wide skinny almost straight up bars with slightly angled handles. It ran from roughly '70 all the way to the end of the the line. You may also find this style on a late '69 I think. I believe all styles except the first gen came in various heights for Jr. and girls bikes. None of this is set in stone, most styles may have crept into the later production of the previous year like you may have later production '67 with the '68/69 style. I'm no expert but if you search for images you will be able to see the differences.

thanks Gentlemen ,I was hoping there's some literature that shows the heights ,widths and curvatures of all four style bars (or at least the first three gens) sometimes its hard to determine that looking at a picture , theres a lot of musclebike bars out there that are close and similar and unless the bars are off the bikes to check for markings its hard to pin them down. I will just have to keep checking picture in the mean time

@coasterbrakejunkie1969 thanks that does narrow it down significantly for me..
Yes the first gen is the hardest no date stamp till '66 I believe. I think they showed up on some other bikes as well. They are distinct in appearance, as long as they are correct does not matter what they came on still the same bars. I have seen parts catalogs with the different later styles not the first one, not sure if they give specific measurments. Often refer to them as 9 inch and 14 inch bars in relation to the height of the riser bar. I do know the first sets are 31 inches from end to end and have very close knurling on the clamp area and the knurling will be just slightly visible on either side of the stem clamp. I have a set of each and can get some pics and measurements if you like.

Reactions: JLF
Yes the first gen is the hardest no date stamp till '66 I believe. I think they showed up on some other bikes as well. They are distinct in appearance, as long as they are correct does not matter what they came on still the same bars. I have seen parts catalogs with the different later styles not the first one, not sure if they give specific measurments. Often refer to them as 9 inch and 14 inch bars in relation to the height of the riser bar. I do know the first sets are 31 inches from end to end and have very close knurling on the clamp area and the knurling will be just slightly visible on either side of the stem clamp. I have a set of each and can get some pics and measurements if you like.
Yes I would, I picked up a pile of what I think are first gen(maybe) plus a few on bikes and I kinda wanna know for sure what I have.
Thanks

Yes I would, I picked up a pile of what I think are first gen(maybe) plus a few on bikes and I kinda wanna know for sure what I have.
Thanks
First 4 pics are the early style we can call them '63-'65, Second set we will call '66/'67, Third set '68/'69 with the coppertone grips. I included a pic of the '66 and '68 next to each other to show the different angles of the grip area. Lastly a set of '70+ with green grips. The measuring is kind subjective depending on exactly what planes you use too measure to, so for our purpose I'm going to call the width in order '63-31". '66-27", '68-27" and '70-25. All of them have roughly the same rise of 14" and the grip area is 8". The '66 grip seems shorter due to extreme curve of them. I have seen and had shorter versions of the last 3 not of the first set , though they may exist. I'm almost sure they offered a third height of the later 2 kinda like 14"/12"/9". There is a bunch of literature if you do some searching here on the cabe. Recently there was an thread about just this topic with some good info. I cannot recall what member it was. I'm by no means an expert and would appreciate being corrected if I'm wrong. And remember "everyone needs a Stingray"

IMG_0401.jpg

IMG_0402 (2).jpg

IMG_0403.jpg

IMG_0404 (1).jpg

IMG_0405.jpg

IMG_0407 (2).jpg

IMG_0408 (1).jpg

IMG_0409.jpg

IMG_0410 (1).jpg

IMG_0411 (1).jpg

IMG_0412.jpg

IMG_0413 (2).jpg

IMG_0414 (2).jpg

IMG_0415 (4).jpg

IMG_0416 (1).jpg

IMG_0417 (2).jpg

IMG_0419 (3).jpg

thanks coasterbrakejunkey...that is a wealth of info for me right there.
i did do a search on here but maybe I was not wording it right,
do you know if all are gonna have schwinn markings? or were some marked wald?

Back