When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Schwinn Autocycle appraisel

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Hi, I'm new to the forum but can see that this is the place for antique bike aficionados. I'm hoping that I might get some help with determining the value of a 1948 Autocycle that I've got. Bought it about 15 years ago and had it professionally restored about 10 years ago. It's been in my garage ever since. We used original parts with a few exceptions. The bars, gooseneck, teardrop light, switches, seat and rims are all new replicas. All the pin-striping was done by hand. All chrome parts were re-chromed and cadmium re-plated. It was repainted in the original black and cream. Any thoughts? I'm going to sell it and would like a fare assessment.

View attachment 89893View attachment 89894View attachment 89895View attachment 89896View attachment 89897

Hi Bob,

This is my 1946 Chevrolet truck that I bought from a local car dealer. He
restored it to like new. He gave it to his son. But since it was restored to
original condition, the son didn't like the way it handled. No power steering,
no a/c & rode like a tank on the freeway ( original straight 6 ). Much was
spent. The thing of it is... one can put $$$$$$ into it but the bottom line...
This truck, the fair market value is just so much & no more.
How much you paid for the bike originally is one thing.
How much you invested in the bike is another thing.
That is why there is so much difference of opinion on what is a "fare" assessment.

BTW: Welcome to the Forum !
sb287o-1.jpg

I have just recently got into the world of old bikes and Schwinns are my brand of choice. What I know about antique bikes can fit in a two-word sentence......Very little. Nevertheless, I have spent my lifetime professionally in the auto sales & service field and privately owning and selling antiques cars and parts. I most recently have removed myself from the sales part of this and find comfort in owning and tinkering with a few old bikes.
What I have learned in my experiences is the real value of an object exists between the seller and buyer and no one else. What the buyer is willing to pay and what the seller is willing to accept is the value. Anything beyond this is historic or speculative.
Yes there are many things like scarcity, certain options etc that could represent a certain price, but again it all funnels down to the buyer/seller value.
What I have learned in the thread as a newbie is invaluable.....I think a few hugs and a nice, long bike ride would be in order....

I have just recently got into the world of old bikes and Schwinns are my brand of choice. What I know about antique bikes can fit in a two-word sentence......Very little. Nevertheless, I have spent my lifetime professionally in the auto sales & service field and privately owning and selling antiques cars and parts. I most recently have removed myself from the sales part of this and find comfort in owning and tinkering with a few old bikes.
What I have learned in my experiences is the real value of an object exists between the seller and buyer and no one else. What the buyer is willing to pay and what the seller is willing to accept is the value. Anything beyond this is historic or speculative.
Yes there are many things like scarcity, certain options etc that could represent a certain price, but again it all funnels down to the buyer/seller value.
What I have learned in the thread as a newbie is invaluable.....I think a few hugs and a nice, long bike ride would be in order....

Very well said!

I agree...I was cool til the name calling started! V/r Shawn

Schwinn Autocycle

I agree...I was cool til the name calling started! V/r Shawn

+1 on that...

It's a public forum...we all have our opinions.
If you disagree, have the respect to say why
instead of name calling...

CHILL

cars vs bikes

Cars are indeed huge money pits. Rarely are restoration costs recovered.
Bicycles vs Auto restorations?
They are 2 different tasks and bicycles DO recover their restoration costs much better than a lot of the car restorations out there.

Both usually take a substantial market hit if the restorations was done along time ago, or was amateur...typicaly peak profit realized
on a just finished project.

Apologies for the insult but there are a lot of people on this board who simply have not
been around the block in this hobby....and to low-ball a guy asking for advice is much more vulgar than
an 'idiot' remark, reacting to the whole thing.
Do I know everything?
Hell no.
But I've been involved with the bike hobby since the late 70's and restored and sold alot of bikes, I believe
my perspective is quite accurate.

I can also tell you, some restored automobiles DO make a profit at auction or in the market, you
have to choose wisely which car you're going to go the miles on to restore.

The bike in question here is an older resto, there will be wear and tear, but if it still presents well, lets
hope the seller gets 2G range. Over the years I have realized closer to 3G on the same bike done right
with NO repro parts other than a battery light tray. But that is for a fresh job.

In closing- The bicycle hobby has far more "grey areas" than the classic car realm, as far as yard sticks for value
and accuracy of restore. I see people overpaying constantly for horribly restored and totally misrepresented junk that .......well looks shiny and new.
On the same note I often see rare bikes that deserve a good dollar go underbid or reserves not met.

Both scenarios due to an very large uninformed or uneducated market.

Last edited:
I dropped the bike at Bob's place and he's going to fix a couple of small paint chips. We also discussed what was original and Repop. I mistakenly stated before that the seat, rims, handlebars and gooseneck were not original - they are original parts! The teardrop light is not original. I do have the one that came with the bike but it was not in good enough condition to go with the restoration we were doing. It would have to go to an expert at chrome plating to be of use since it is covered in scale.

When I got the bike someone had painted it very poorly in blue and we determined the best thing to do was take it back to its original color scheme.
The original seat was gone as well as the tank, chain guard, goose neck and package tray. We sourced all original parts and painted them to match.

Bob will be sending me a list as to specific parts like what type of rims and so on.

Thanks for the interest. I will try and come up with a price as soon as Bob is finished with the touch ups.

value

Beautiful bike restored by an unbelivable craftsman!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!thanks for the eye candy

b6 autocycle

Saw the bike today. Honestly? looks like it was never ridden since restored. maybe 3 or 4 tiny nicks in the paint, minor. Entire bike looks fresh! Must have been kept indoors. As far as originality. Very few corners cut...The only significant repro parts are the pedals (torrington 10 repros) and the light top, (1st quality expensive repro one)... brake cable, and battery tray for the headlight and that's it.

Details such as Original restored doublebutted Torrington spokes and long nipples, Correct Lobdell rims (found on many 48's along with non knurled 1st year S2s) Orig mint Delta horn, mesinger B-1 orig saddle restored in tan, orig Typhoon Tires (not repro) original NOS grips.

The ONLY upgrades that would make a difference would be a nicer Trains and Planes badge (easy find) and an orig set of Torrington or Majestic Persons pedals. Even has the Stimsonite "10" reflector and glass 6 hole rack jewel.

Original Arnold Schwinn Yale key in the lock, working fine.

For a 10 year old restoration...you could tell ANYONE the bike was done 1 month ago and they would believe you, it was THAT well taken care of.

Good luck with it!

Back