When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Schwinn Base Coat

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

GTs58

I'm the Wiz, and nobody beats me!
Does anyone know if 1955 was the last year of the gold base coat on the Opal colors? And was it just used with the Red colors? I've only seen this situation on the Opal Red bikes that were 54 and 55 models.

1563429039688.png

1563429063858.png

1563429113205.png

That is NOT "gold base coat" The color shift from red to an orange-ish-gold tone is due to sitting in the sun for several years, (Ultra violet rays exposure).the silver/aluminum coat does not fade as much under the clear red top finish coat. Clearly protected somewhat from Ultra violet rays by the decal, as seen in the chain guard. "Gold base coat" Nonsense: Fore Peat's sake how many timeds ave fact vs fiction over this faded color have you been told ? Take off the head badge on a faded Opel red Schwinn and crap "gold tone" faded red is revealed Proof positive it's just crap clear red top coat 'Candy apple red' with no ultra violet protection in Schwinn's paint producer. >>>>>
>>>
p5250272-jpg.jpg

I've often wondered if that is the color opal red fades to in too much sun rather than it being a base coat showing through.

I've often wondered if that is the color opal red fades to in too much sun rather than it being a base coat showing through.
Indeed. Here's a macro shot of the front post on 1955 ' sun faded frame and chain guard to a orange-ish-gold tone, Corvette, I posted. polished it smooth and glossy, down to reveal the multiple coatings un-molested by ultra violet rays, under the head badge. Silvery flakes and crackle that creates the Opel-like effect base. The Crackle appears red but it's not as it seems rather. it's either within the silver mixture or a separate clear red coating on the flakes. Finally, Top coated with clear red, known in the 1950's and there after as 'Candy Apple red' . B/C it's what cinnamon clear red candy apples were made like. I did not grind or sand this, which appears to be 100 grit, it's what Schwinn did to the bare metal before painting coat the red lead primer on. I guess this helped the paint stick to metal.
1955-corvette-opal-red-laye-jpg.jpg

Last edited:
candy paint was invented by one of the old customizer guys in the mid 50s,candy paint is nor just thin paint,its made from toners that are used to tint paint,this was b4 paint companies invented or used uv in there paints,uv is like sun block,it blocks the suns ultra violet rays there for preventing color fade,i think it was gene winfield who first discoverd candy apple painting,was multiple coats or laquer[up to 20]coats,usually had a host of longevity problems just like schwinn bikes

]

Boy, some really good info here and the terminology is just flat out exquisite! Never heard of clear red before but I'm always open to learn. I'm no paint expert like Jeff, but I've had quite a bit of experience in paint and painting and something is going on with these early Opal Red bikes from say 1954 and 1955. I've also come across a vast amount of translucent Red Schwinn bikes where the red paint has faded and no other years have this gold hue when the red is gone or faded, NEVER. I've seen a Radiant Red Varsity where all the red was gone with just a few hidden areas were there was still traces of red. That bike was all bright silver and no sign of any gold anywhere from either paint or UV damaged red paint. Over the years I've seen many 54 and 55 Opal Red bikes were there is a gold tone after all the translucent red paint has vanished. I believe there was what the experts call "a piss coat" of gold shot over the silver base coat on these 54 and 55's and that's pretty evident in the pictures.

Here's a faded worn 1959 and no signs of gold. Then the 54 Jag where the red was long gone years ago. Note the cantilever bar where it's scratched. Gold then silver then primer. And a few other shots of that Corvette.

Just a note. I have talked to the owner of that Jag about the paint after it was purchased from hzqw2l

1563511534947.png

faded opal red 2.jpg

faded opal red.jpg

faded opal red 4.jpg

1563513570780.png

1563513680814.png

Reactions: mrg
Presumably the original paint is still there under the decals (chain guard, seat tube). That being the case, the original red paint is still there under the decals, and not somehow scraped or worn off. Unless the red paint faded to clear revealing a gold coat underneath, it has to be the red paint that faded to gold. Just using logic here...

Back