When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SCHWINN BLACK PHANTOM:NEED EXPERT ASSISTANCE

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

FlyingHigh

Look Ma, No Hands!
Hi Cabers,

I just purchased a Schwinn Black Phantom and I am confused. It was sold as a 1955, but I know that even if the frame is a 1955, it has a ton of repop parts on it. I have owned an authentic 1995 100th Anniversary Black Phantom. It reminds of the 1995 in the following ways: The paint and most of the parts except the wheels, tires, and the springer forks set-up. The wheels look like old S-2s as the rear hub is a New Departure D with the oil filler set-up; both wheels are stamped. The tires are old Carlisles. The forks are non-locking, which I thought all of the the repop bikes had locking forks. I see inconsistencies with the striping on the frame which makes me question if the frame has been repainted. The paint looks almost too perfect to have been repainted. The rear frame is missing the bracket that attaches the front of the repop 4 hole rack. Here is where it gets really confusing. It does not have the serial number or anniversary stamping on the bottom bracket. I know the bottom bracket seam is suppose to be perfect, but this one is not. I thought that could mean that it's a frame used for the repop Crusier Classic, but the cruiser classic has a different paint scheme and different headlight, sprocket, fenders, etc. The bike does have a 1955 Serial number on the drop out like 55s do. It also has the repop style gold new patent sticker at the bottom of the seat/down tube. I can pretty much tell that the fenders, seat, etc are all repop. The last pic is an example of a correct 1995 bracket. Any thoughts?
20210113_214733[4230].jpg
20210113_214742[4231].jpg
20210113_214801[4234].jpg
20210113_214814[4233].jpg
20210113_214825[4232].jpg
20210115_170908[4236].jpg
schwinnbbsmjpg-1.jpg

I'm far from an expert on anything ( OK, beer drinking I'm almost an expert...dropping roses/air biscuits...yeah?), but I see what you see in repro parts. That's the danger of buying bikes that have been re-popped. Lots of people will cobble together parts on an original frame (or not) and pass it off as an original bike.

I mean lets face it, many or our "original" bikes have been messed with from factory with add ons, upgrades, repaints, chrome, etc. but if a buyer is knowledgeable he/she can ( especially if looking in person) assess the unit and determine the authentic state for their comfort. Because I live 1000's of miles up north in an igloo, I have to buy on line at times and am somewhat at the mercy of pictures and description. Sometimes good, sometimes not. I hope you didn't get burned.

Please step in experts. Oh yeah, I'm a professional eater too. If you want to learn how to pack away food, just ask me.

I'm far from an expert on anything ( OK, beer drinking I'm almost an expert...dropping roses/air biscuits...yeah?), but I see what you see in repro parts. That's the danger of buying bikes that have been re-popped. Lots of people will cobble together parts on an original frame (or not) and pass it off as an original bike.

I mean lets face it, many or our "original" bikes have been messed with from factory with add ons, upgrades, repaints, chrome, etc. but if a buyer is knowledgeable he/she can ( especially if looking in person) assess the unit and determine the authentic state for their comfort. Because I live 1000's of miles up north in an igloo, I have to buy on line at times and am somewhat at the mercy of pictures and description. Sometimes good, sometimes not. I hope you didn't get burned.

Please step in experts. Oh yeah, I'm a professional eater too. If you want to learn how to pack away food, just ask me.
LOL.....Thanks alot Mad Mike! I didn't pay enough to be too concerned. Either way, I think it was a good deal. They did a good job on the repop. The dealers paid 1600 for those in 1995. Take Care.

Could be a restored 1955 mfg bike then loaded up with the repop parts...defintely a repainted/restored frame and fork? Pivot goes right through
the fork leg correct? Not off-set like the early locking forks?
I'm guessing a typical cut ever corner with repop 95 crap restoration of maybe an original then restored frame and fork...
Serial # would be on the rear drop out...have a look see there.
Friends don't let friends buy repop!

Could be a restored 1955 mfg bike then loaded up with the repop parts...defintely a repainted/restored frame and fork? Pivot goes right through
the fork leg correct? Not off-set like the early locking forks?
I'm guessing a typical cut ever corner with repop 95 crap restoration of maybe an original then restored frame and fork...
Serial # would be on the rear drop out...have a look see there.
Friends don't let friends buy repop!
Thanks for the reply! Yes, the serial number is on the right if youre facing the bike.

That has been repainted. It's either a restored 55 Phantom using lots of reproduction parts or an original frame and built up as a Phantom. Either way, it's a really nice looking ride.

LOL.....Thanks alot Mad Mike! I didn't pay enough to be too concerned. Either way, I think it was a good deal. They did a good job on the repop. The dealers paid 1600 for those in 1995. Take Care.
I'm Nashman in case there is any doubt on my response or if anyone wants my pizza recipe or tips on how to gain weight, fart, drink beer without guilt, etc. Nashman, not Mad Mike, but he may have tips as well?

That has been repainted. It's either a restored 55 Phantom using lots of reproduction parts or an original frame and built up as a Phantom. Either way, it's a really nice looking ride.
Thank you! I really appreciate the information!

Back