When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SCHWINN BLACK PHANTOM:NEED EXPERT ASSISTANCE

-
I'm Nashman in case there is any doubt on my response or if anyone wants my pizza recipe or tips on how to gain weight, fart, drink beer without guilt, etc. Nashman, not Mad Mike, but he may have tips as well?
Lol...Sorry about that, I'm still learning the system. I will keep all of that in mind!

Hi Cabers,

I just purchased a Schwinn Black Phantom and I am confused. It was sold as a 1955, but I know that even if the frame is a 1955, it has a ton of repop parts on it. I have owned an authentic 1995 100th Anniversary Black Phantom. It reminds of the 1995 in the following ways: The paint and most of the parts except the wheels, tires, and the springer forks set-up. The wheels look like old S-2s as the rear hub is a New Departure D with the oil filler set-up; both wheels are stamped. The tires are old Carlisles. The forks are non-locking, which I thought all of the the repop bikes had locking forks. I see inconsistencies with the striping on the frame which makes me question if the frame has been repainted. The paint looks almost too perfect to have been repainted. The rear frame is missing the bracket that attaches the front of the repop 4 hole rack. Here is where it gets really confusing. It does not have the serial number or anniversary stamping on the bottom bracket. I know the bottom bracket seam is suppose to be perfect, but this one is not. I thought that could mean that it's a frame used for the repop Crusier Classic, but the cruiser classic has a different paint scheme and different headlight, sprocket, fenders, etc. The bike does have a 1955 Serial number on the drop out like 55s do. It also has the repop style gold new patent sticker at the bottom of the seat/down tube. I can pretty much tell that the fenders, seat, etc are all repop. The last pic is an example of a correct 1995 bracket. Any thoughts?View attachment 1340352View attachment 1340353View attachment 1340354View attachment 1340355View attachment 1340356View attachment 1340357View attachment 1340358
Yeah, your first clue is staring at you, you just didn't notice, yet. The cantilever bars, painted darts, squared off, are totally whack.

Last edited:
In my opinion you have a pretty nice bike...Most likely a 55 frame with some original parts and some repop parts and new paint. All combined to make a nice rider. back in 1995/1996 I can't tell you how many 53/54/55 Phantom frames were completely stripped down and replaced with everything off a 95 Anniversary bike and guys were calling them a restored Phantom. In my opinion, no harm no foul, unless there is deception involved, which there often was. There is a reason why there are a boat load of 95 Phantoms being parted out on e bay right now....Simple, people want or need the stuff and they are usually worth more in parts than whole.

In my opinion you have a pretty nice bike...Most likely a 55 frame with some original parts and some repop parts and new paint. All combined to make a nice rider. back in 1995/1996 I can't tell you how many 53/54/55 Phantom frames were completely stripped down and replaced with everything off a 95 Anniversary bike and guys were calling them a restored Phantom. In my opinion, no harm no foul, unless there is deception involved, which there often was. There is a reason why there are a boat load of 95 Phantoms being parted out on e bay right now....Simple, people want or need the stuff and they are usually worth more in parts than whole.
Yep yep. At least it's a Vintage frame and since restored you're going for that as new look anyways. Repop pieces or not you can always pick & choose if you want to faux patina it, actually patina it, and or make it nicer than some ever really was etc. I would Never call it Original or try to pass it off as such for selling but it's Nice if you're a Schwinn fan. Hopefully you didn't get had too bad on the price

Thank you so much! Do you think the forks are 55?

Thank you so much! Do you think the forks are 55?
Actually it's a fork, singular. The 1955 models ushered in the new style fork legs with the pivot bolt going thru the fork leg. I've noted a few 55 models that had the older fork legs and I would have to think they were using up the older stock. The 55 models had the option for a locking fork at extra cost and those had the pivot bolt behind the fork leg. If your fork was off the Anniversary Phantom why would it be repainted? Looks like the hardware is not new so I'd have to say your fork is an original, but could have a few repop parts on it like the truss rods.

Actually it's a fork, singular. The 1955 models ushered in the new style fork legs with the pivot bolt going thru the fork leg. I've noted a few 55 models that had the older fork legs and I would have to think they were using up the older stock. The 55 models had the option for a locking fork at extra cost and those had the pivot bolt behind the fork leg. If your fork was off the Anniversary Phantom why would it be repainted? Looks like the hardware is not new so I'd have to say your fork is an original, but could have a few repop parts on it like the truss rods.
Thank you!

Back