When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SCHWINN BLACK PHANTOM:NEED EXPERT ASSISTANCE

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Schurnn

I will never unsee that.

Bottom line is price paid for that one....parts are quality reproduction...but they litter the earth in large qtys...
not a terrible paint job aside from some minor details....
easily 1000 + value bike there as is...and I would bet considerably more if parted out...(which is what I would do
if I owned it.....Nickname "95' Slayer".)
cheers!

Bottom line is price paid for that one....parts are quality reproduction...but they litter the earth in large qtys...
not a terrible paint job aside from some minor details....
easily 1000 + value bike there as is...and I would bet considerably more if parted out...(which is what I would do
if I owned it.....Nickname "95' Slayer".)
cheers!
Thank you sir, I really appreciate that information. I may keep it, but not sure.

Thank you sir, I really appreciate that information. I may keep it, but not sure.
Sweet looking bike. Restored looks 100 times better than old beat up paint and rusted out parts. But to each their own. Remember if it's restored someone spent a lot of time and money to restore it to be a head turner like that. It may be original only once, but restored always looks better than a roached original.

I'm not sure what you mean.
Boy, this is till going. And I must have gotten to busy, forgot to reply or just see too many as to what stands out so frequently. It's certainly a repainted bike, and there's nothing wrong with that except when somebody pulls a con job, claiming it's original. .

And It's a good looker too.

Yet, the darts on frame are not correct. Plus the easiest way and most frequent error made is the Chain guard. The pin stripes, where the angle down tips are; those were made with about 3/4" fine stripe brush. The side of the brush makes a mark that's a little like a up-side down drip. It's oval at the top and thin at bottom. Yours are a long thin triangle, it's not a brush mark. Even the 95 repop Black Phantoms were carefully recreated with a brush that is exactly what was done in the factory.

The size of this mark can vary during the years made but the way it was done on the Phantoms and all of Schwinn's deluxe guards, any color, any model is the same.

It's not like it's this big secret yet the only ones I have ever seen to get it right is Bob, who commented in this thread. And as I have been making this point for years, I expect we should begin to see it proper. Funny: the other day I saw repaint at ebay and the brush tip was up-side down. 🙃 😜. Defies my imagination that only one guy, Bob, after all these years peeps have been attempting it, one person paid attention.

Here's an genuine1960 Wasp. like I said, it may vary. Understanding, factories, you will find tons of variances when hand touched materials are part of production. This one is little small, a little fat, maybe a brush that's warn out or? But it's a factory made hand applied brush tip mark. And, the easiest to spot, most frequent error made in restorations, failure to use the brush sideways and it's not exactly a stripe rather, it's a mark.

Click this to blow it up, see the detail of the brush mark.

7c6bbd4f-9de5-40ec-8b72-b77acb26be07-jpeg.jpg

Last edited:
Boy, this is till going. And I must have gotten to busy, forgot to reply or just see too many as to what stands out so frequently. It's certainly a repainted bike, and there's nothing wrong with that except when somebody pulls a con job, claiming it's original. .

And It's a good looker too.

Yet, the darts on frame are not correct. Plus the easiest way and most frequent error made is the Chain guard. The pin stripes, where the angle down tips are; those were made with about 3/4" fine stripe brush. The side of the brush makes a mark that's a little like a up-side down drip. It's oval at the top and thin at bottom. Yours are a long thin triangle, it's not a brush mark. Even the 95 repop Black Phantoms were carefully recreated with a brush that is the exactly what was done in the factory.

The size of this mark can vary during the years made but the way it was done on the Phantoms and all of Schwinn's deluxe guards, any color, any model is the same.

It's not like it's this big secret yet the only ones I have ever seen to get it right is Bob, who commented in this thread. And as I have been making this point for years, I expect we should begin to see it proper. Funny: the other day I saw repaint at ebay and the brush tip was up-side down. 🙃 😜. Defies my imagination that only one guy, Bob, after all these years peeps have been attempting it, one person paid attention.

Here's an genuine1960 Wasp. like I said, it may vary. Understanding, factories, you will find tons of variances when hand touched materials are part of production. This one is little small, a little fat, maybe a brush that's warn out or? But it's a factory made hand applied brush tip mark. And, the easiest to spot, most frequent error made in restorations, failure to use the brush sideways and it's not exactly a stripe rather, it's a mark.

Click this to blow it up, see the detail of the brush mark.

View attachment 1480960
Better late then never, especially if that is thekind of knowledge you drop upon arrival. Really awesome example, having worked with all types of brushes big and small my whole life it's easy to understand.

Better late then never, especially if that is thekind of knowledge you drop upon arrival. Really awesome example, having worked with all types of brushes big and small my whole life it's easy to understand.
What they used back in the day was nothing great for paint, and a fast assembly line that many were far from uniform. It's great to see those who look for the smallest details, but don't forget to just enjoy it. Even though this is a refurb bike, an impressive one at that. I would rather see someone's hard work to preserve or better something. Something they have to be proud of that they built, changing somethings adds flair to a restore and makes it an original to itself. Different is good I have seen many repop jobs far superior in appearance to an original. When you ride it people go wow look at that cool old bike, looks like brand new. Reproduction parts make it so the normal person can fix up and enjoy a vintage bicycle. I agree someone selling should list the parts that have been replaced. Even parts that are originals but not to the bike. Honesty is the best policy, to many scammers. Many times there is way to much emphasis on the original thing, bikes are meant to have fun. Most of which aren't worth over 1500 anyway, which makes them affordable for most anyone. Bikes are for kids, some of us are just older kids now, lol

What they used back in the day was nothing great for paint, and a fast assembly line that many were far from uniform. It's great to see those who look for the smallest details, but don't forget to just enjoy it. Even though this is a refurb bike, an impressive one at that. I would rather see someone's hard work to preserve or better something. Something they have to be proud of that they built, changing somethings adds flair to a restore and makes it an original to itself. Different is good I have seen many repop jobs far superior in appearance to an original. When you ride it people go wow look at that cool old bike, looks like brand new. Reproduction parts make it so the normal person can fix up and enjoy a vintage bicycle. I agree someone selling should list the parts that have been replaced. Even parts that are originals but not to the bike. Honesty is the best policy, to many scammers. Many times there is way to much emphasis on the original thing, bikes are meant to have fun. Most of which aren't worth over 1500 anyway, which makes them affordable for most anyone. Bikes are for kids, some of us are just older kids now, lol
I agree but you still have older kids who look at it like owning a rare Hot Wheels. The fewer they are of an original the more people want them and of course when you own them you can ask whatever you want BUT it's Only Worth what someone is willing to actually pay for it. I can't believe some of y'all are paying so much for bikes but who knows maybe someday I'll throw $500-BIG $$$ towards something bike wise that I just can't live without 🤷‍♂️

Original in nice condition is one thing, but totally roached original is another. Agree prices are getting crazy on this stuff. I used 1500 on a higher end bike reference.

Back