When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Schwinn brand has yet another new owner!

-
what would Captain Kangaroo have to say about all this?

while everything with a Schwinn decal on it may not have been crap, they definitely were not Schwinn. who was it that said "rolls of flat steel come in one end of the factory and bikes come out the other"

when the company that owns the name does not even build the frame the name becomes meaningless.

Schwinn built their own tubing
what would Captain Kangaroo have to say about all this?

while everything with a Schwinn decal on it may not have been crap, they definitely were not Schwinn. who was it that said "rolls of flat steel come in one end of the factory and bikes come out the other"

when the company that owns the name does not even build the frame the name becomes meaningless.

Schwinn built their own tubing.
Agreed, my point is there are plenty of decent riding bikes out there bearing names of defunct manufacturers. They are not all crap and I’ve yet to break one. I own 2 Chicago built Schwinn bikes and my first Schwinn was a Greenville built cruiser 5 I bought 12 years ago. I regret selling that bike because it was barely ridden by the original owner and still had its original tyres. It was a private import and also the only American built Schwinn balloon tire bike I have ever seen for sale downunder.

Agreed, my point is there are plenty of decent riding bikes out there bearing names of defunct manufacturers. They are not all crap and I’ve yet to break one. I own 2 Chicago built Schwinn bikes and my first Schwinn was a Greenville built cruiser 5 I bought 12 years ago. I regret selling that bike because it was barely ridden by the original owner and still had its original tyres. It was a private import and also the only American built Schwinn balloon tire bike I have ever seen for sale downunder.

I don't think Schwinn ever produced that model at Greenville. They didn't do electro-forged cantilever frames there. What year is your Cruiser 5? Schwinn produced a few of the first 1983 models and then the production went to Murray for around 300,000 units and then Giant started producing them.

That’s an impressive feat, examining and reviewing the last 25+ years of Schwinn’s products. I’d be interested if you could elaborate on some of the highs and lows. Perhaps put together a list or guide so others can at least begin to have the knowledge you’ve personally obtained.
Try reading "No hands the rise and fall of the Schwinn Bicycle Company, An American Institution" book.. I'm reading it now and find it quite an informative read..

Cool pictures of Aviation Cyclery; (I had to zoom in to see that part of the signage).
The Aviation address made me curious, so I googled it:
https://www.hermosacyclery.com/aviation-cyclery/
Thinking that the thread might be placed in a more general forum to include GT Dyno, and other equal brands formerly owned by Dorel Canada.

Did you frequent my shop back in the day?

Hermosa Cyclery has the aviationcyclery.com domain name that they purchased with the remaining inventory when the store closed in Oct. of 2017

I visited the area again back in the summer of 2019, and went for a bike ride on the strand with a couple of the owners pictured in that link you posted. Also on that ride, we had the pleasure of having local cycling legend Ted Ernst along for the ride that day. https://easyreadernews.com/ted-ernst/

Here is a pic of us in front of their shop in Hermosa after the ride.

Aviation & Arbor Vitae, those “A” streets, (and East of Sepulveda), are so confusing; maybe I was thinking of Mac’s Bike Shop 220 E. Arbor Vitae, Inglewood.

Last edited:
Did you frequent my shop back in the day?

Hermosa Cyclery has the aviationcyclery.com domain name that they purchased with the remaining inventory when the store closed in Oct. of 2017

I visited the area again back in the summer of 2019, and went for a bike ride on the strand with a couple of the owners pictured in that link you posted. Also on that ride, we had the pleasure of having local cycling legend Ted Ernst along for the ride that day. https://easyreadernews.com/ted-ernst/

Here is a pic of us in front of their shop in Hermosa after the ride.

View attachment 1496995
That's you in the middle correct ?

Aviation & Arbor Vitae, those A streets are so confusing; maybe I was thinking of Mac’s Bike Shop 220 E. Arbor Vitae, Inglewood.

There were quite a few small bike shops around back in the day, and a large percentage of them were Schwinn Dealers.

My old shop is now a Rack Starz store.

I don't think Schwinn ever produced that model at Greenville. They didn't do electro-forged cantilever frames there. What year is your Cruiser 5? Schwinn produced a few of the first 1983 models and then the production went to Murray for around 300,000 units and then Giant started producing them.
I sold that bike a few years back and it may have not been named the cruiser 5. It was black, had an electro forged canti frame, tubular front forks, steel chrome rims, Schwinn studded tyres, stem mounted shifter, low road type stem, French hubs, Weinmann caliper brakes and a Messinger saddle. The serial number was on the head tube. I’m quite sure when I checked the serial number, it came up as a Greenville bike. It definitely wasn’t a tig welded Giant bike. The first owner bought it from a dealer in Long Beach. The dealer sticker was on the seat tube. I must search for a photo on the web as it is not a model you see often.

Back