When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Schwinn 'Classic Cycle'; (Red Phantom/Hornet) Real or Memorex?

-

Jeff54

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
This bike is either crazy, home made mock fake or actually real and never seen.
As some may know, I am seriously good at spotting repaints and fakes but, this has me stumped. Albeit, I usually need very good graphics and these photos are just OK. I found this by happen stance and it's bugging me all day.

Police Auction link: https://www.propertyroom.com/l/schwinn-classic-cruiser-beach-bike/11386510

Every thing about this bike and parts screams Schwinn repop. Yet is it really?

Undoubtedly a Taiwan mig welded frame but a full on ringer for Red Phantom paint scheme. I've seen plenty fake and poorman's paint jobs on these frames but this is not some handyman's trick rather, next level. The photo's graphics are not strong enough to see pin-stripe's detail, to be sure but looks right. Fender braces are correct for the Classic Cruiser series, before and after 2002 Schwinn BK; Doral takeover. Schwinn's 1990's-2014 fender braces are old school sizing that, as far as I know, nobody else's, aftermarket or whatever fit as tight as Schwinn. The flat area reviled is about or less than 1/2" this area is always a good tell on all Schwinn untill late where you can not find a difference anymore.

I guess; if this is real then it's post 2002-2014 B/C of the paint on fenders, despite the scheme, look right for this time frame too. . The rims are correct and a Nexus, IDK, 3, 4, or 7-speed internal hub; Correct with click grip shifter verses thumb shifter . I think that's a vinyl seat regardless, not an expert but, it looks right. Wat up wit dat stem/goose neck? No find on any Schwinn but wonder if it's of the many Companies Doral/Pacific cycles owns in this time frame which is virtually every common USA brand, Schwinn, Murray, Huffy, AMC you name it, Doral/Pacific Cycle has the whole package. I've tried to find that stem to no avail. Tried to find the name on the tank and chain guard in the net; comes up empty too. The only thing that corelates to this oddity is that, Pacific's Schwinn line of Classic cruisers did make some very interesting attractive and unusual color variations up until, around 2014. .

-classic-cruiser-beach-bike-1_26120172120437536534.jpg

Check out this Chainguard. It appears to say 'Classic Cyclo' and, [Beat this]: "Made in Taiwan" That's what really gets me as, this is a serious most unique feature that I doubt, anybody would want to fake, Right in your face: 'That's right baby.'; Made in Taiwan: WTF?

I think it's real and so, preserving the photos here.

-classic-cruiser-beach-bike-1_26120172120416631534.jpg

Tank: that's some weird graphics here. Notice the font used in the word 'Classic' and the small L, it's odd and looks more like an small E. And that sticker on top bar; Is that Sale's/Information tag? Never seen that yet, I have not keep up with what newer than 2002 much. Regardless, it's in the same place where yellow warning stickers used-to be in the late 70-80's, presumably, the right spot for most any bike's stock retail label. . Does not appear to be an auction tag, maybe it identifies what the heck this bike is?

n-classic-cruiser-beach-bike-1_2612017212042692534.jpg

-classic-cruiser-beach-bike-1_26120172120426153534.jpg

-classic-cruiser-beach-bike-1_26120172120412890534.jpg

n-classic-cruiser-beach-bike-1_2612017212043204534.jpg

This bike is either crazy, home made mock fake or actually real and never seen.
As some may know, I am seriously good at spotting repaints and fakes but, this has me stumped. Albeit, I usually need very good graphics and these photos are just OK. I found this by happen stance and it's bugging me all day.

Police Auction link: https://www.propertyroom.com/l/schwinn-classic-cruiser-beach-bike/11386510

Every thing about this bike and parts screams Schwinn repop. Yet is it really?

Undoubtedly a Taiwan mig welded frame but a full on ringer for Red Phantom paint scheme. I've seen plenty fake and poorman's paint jobs on these frames but this is not some handyman's trick rather, next level. The photo's graphics are not strong enough to see pin-stripe's detail, to be sure but looks right. Fender braces are correct for the Classic Cruiser series, before and after 2002 Schwinn BK; Doral takeover. Schwinn's 1990's-2014 fender braces are old school sizing that, as far as I know, nobody else's, aftermarket or whatever fit as tight as Schwinn. The flat area reviled is about or less than 1/2" this area is always a good tell on all Schwinn untill late where you can not find a difference anymore.

I guess; if this is real then it's post 2002-2014 B/C of the paint on fenders, despite the scheme, look right for this time frame too. . The rims are correct and a Nexus, IDK, 3, 4, or 7-speed internal hub; Correct with click grip shifter verses thumb shifter . I think that's a vinyl seat regardless, not an expert but, it looks right. Wat up wit dat stem/goose neck? No find on any Schwinn but wonder if it's of the many Companies Doral/Pacific cycles owns in this time frame which is virtually every common USA brand, Schwinn, Murray, Huffy, AMC you name it, Doral/Pacific Cycle has the whole package. I've tried to find that stem to no avail. Tried to find the name on the tank and chain guard in the net; comes up empty too. The only thing that corelates to this oddity is that, Pacific's Schwinn line of Classic cruisers did make some very interesting attractive and unusual color variations up until, around 2014. .

View attachment 1497355

Check out this Chainguard. It appears to say 'Classic Cyclo' and, [Beat this]: "Made in Taiwan" That's what really gets me as, this is a serious most unique feature that I doubt, anybody would want to fake, Right in your face: 'That's right baby.'; Made in Taiwan: WTF?

I think it's real and so, preserving the photos here.

View attachment 1497356

Tank: that's some weird graphics here. Notice the font used in the word 'Classic' and the small L, it's odd and looks more like an small E. And that sticker on top bar; Is that Sale's/Information tag? Never seen that yet, I have not keep up with what newer than 2002 much. Regardless, it's in the same place where yellow warning stickers used-to be in the late 70-80's, presumably, the right spot for most any bike's stock retail label. . Does not appear to be an auction tag, maybe it identifies what the heck this bike is?

View attachment 1497357

View attachment 1497358

View attachment 1497359

View attachment 1497360

Just someone's custom job with a mix of non original parts!

Back