When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Schwinn 'Classic Cycle'; (Red Phantom/Hornet) Real or Memorex?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
After even more extensive searching for this bike with no luck but, trying to date this oddity, I am more inclined to consider that it is earlier than I thought, potentially, before 2002 Pacific Cycles takeover or within a year or two after, up too 2004. Since Taiwan was already building these frames IDK but this might be a version for the European or Asian market that original owner brought or sent to US..

And, although paint scheme on fenders are no match for an Autocycle, the name 'Classic Cycle' does indicate that it may be Schwinn's mock version of one, an after thought or something. Maybe when they bombed in bankruptcy, , Schwinn was preparing to launch these, IDK.. A Prototype? Neverminded whether it's old school 1950's because, for the money, this bike would be a $Ka-Ching!

The tiers; they are not Schwinn black wall Typhoon but appear to be what Pacific used after the takeover, by 2004/5 on different models although, too tough to be sure, appear to be original too.

As far as I know, we've never seen a real Phantom paint scheme on a Taiwan welded frame before this. I have seen tons of fakes that are poorly done and or you can tell by the scheme and pin stripes, are not professional repaints, even the best fake, I can usually find fault. My eyes may be going because; I can't see any faults in the frame's paint scheme here.

And yet, most know, when the 1995 Phantoms were made, they used the original paint templets to replicate the 52 Phantom paint scheme.

Apparently, those templets or masks went to Taiwan too.

Also note: It has a 3-speed Nexus Revo (twist grip) shifter This bike has been in a wreck. Looks like there's some hard scratches on it. And, the shifter cover is broken overwise it would have1, 2 and 3 imprinted. I could only find one, in several searches. That is, accordingly, the hub kit on this is like: Shimano Nexus SG-3C41. However, I can not put a set together
because; I can't find the whole kit, (Hub, bell crank, cable and twist grip shifter) with this exact black vinyl Bell crank cover, but if combined with a SG-3C41 hub kit, pretty sure, this is what it has,(below). Maybe, an exact matching hub set could be dated for a hint when this bike was made. :

us-sg-3c41-replacement-bell-crank-3-unit-y33s95100.jpg

Last edited:
Back