When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Schwinn Cool Lemon paint

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Red Oxide is only used under "solid" colors- aluminum (silver) is only used under "candy" colors, has always been my experience.

Good points. Some models (i.e. Ballooner Jag) used a metalic gold undercoat with the candy colors.

Attachments

• 1978_schwinn_7.jpg
    1978_schwinn_7.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 493
It's bad info.[/QUOTE

What's bad info, that sales pitch BS about baked on paint in the 70's with three plus coats? In 1963 1964 the Flamboyant colors were only two actual coats of paint. Acid dips/metal preps don't count as a coat of paint. The aluminum base/primer coat and the candy coat was it.

The "aluminum" base is not primer and there was red oxide primer used under it ALWAYS.

It was said that there was no primer used under the translucent colors, this was false or bad information. What I would like to know is, why do guys put up information when they obviously do not know what they are talking about? Why do guys chime in in the defense of bad information when they obviously do not know what they are talking about either? Who does this help? It certainly does not help those that are trying to duplicate factory finishes. If someone tries to put a base coat over bare metal without a primer coat, it will fail in time. Is that what you want? or are you just looking to score some points to bolster your ego at any cost?

I have stripped and repainted enough frames to have first hand experience that the Schwinn "sales pitch BS" as you call it, is absolutely true.

Here is an original paint 1959 radiant green Schwinn Jaguar frame. No that is not red steel under the silver base, you guessed it. It's red oxide primer. No, they did not have a separate line for un-primed frames that went straight to silver base coats. Yes, all frames must have been primed to prevent rusting before they received whatever colors they were destined for. Common sense would dictate that same color bikes would have been done in batches. Frames would have been in waiting for the equipment to be changed over to different colors.

Not bad for a Newbie. You guys really need to get your acts together. You help no one with unfounded bogus information. This is primarily why I stay away from websites like this. People just throw anything up like they are experts when the exact opposite is true. It's frustrating and worse than useless. Who are you going to believe, which is the more reliable source, Schwinn or guys spouting off on websites?

Attachments

• frames stretch and paint 006.JPG
    frames stretch and paint 006.JPG
    333.7 KB · Views: 403
The "aluminum" base is not primer and there was red oxide primer used under it ALWAYS.

It was said that there was no primer used under the translucent colors, this was false or bad information. What I would like to know is, why do guys put up information when they obviously do not know what they are talking about? Why do guys chime in in the defense of bad information when they obviously do not know what they are talking about either? Who does this help? It certainly does not help those that are trying to duplicate factory finishes. If someone tries to put a base coat over bare metal without a primer coat, it will fail in time. Is that what you want? or are you just looking to score some points to bolster your ego at any cost?

I have stripped and repainted enough frames to have first hand experience that the Schwinn "sales pitch BS" as you call it, is absolutely true.

In 1963 Schwinn started using the aluminum base for a primer also. This started on the Flamboyant colors and there was no red oxide primer underneath. This is a proven fact so check out your frames from this time period, 1963 and on. I have stripped 63 and 64 frames and no red primer so the sales BS is wrong. I also own many 63's and none have the red primer.

The 50's gold base was not a metallic paint.

Last edited:
Here is an original paint 1959 radiant green Schwinn Jaguar frame. No that is not red steel under the silver base, you guessed it. It's red oxide primer. No, they did not have a separate line for un-primed frames that went straight to silver base coats. Yes, all frames must have been primed to prevent rusting before they received whatever colors they were destined for. Common sense would dictate that same color bikes would have been done in batches. Frames would have been in waiting for the equipment to be changed over to different colors.

Not bad for a Newbie. You guys really need to get your acts together. You help no one with unfounded bogus information. This is primarily why I stay away from websites like this. People just throw anything up like they are experts when the exact opposite is true. It's frustrating and worse than useless. Who are you going to believe, which is the more reliable source, Schwinn or guys spouting off on websites?[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Back