When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Schwinn Cool Lemon paint

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
You mean like these? I think I made my case better than adequately. I'll let others decide.

Attachments

• frames1100_3349.JPG
    frames1100_3349.JPG
    324.5 KB · Views: 351
In 1963 Schwinn started using the aluminum base for a primer also. This started on the Flamboyant colors and there was no red oxide primer underneath. This is a proven fact so check out your frames from this time period, 1963 and on. I have stripped 63 and 64 frames and no red primer so the sales BS is wrong. I also own many 63's 64's 65's and 66's and none have the red primer.

The 50's gold base was not a metallic paint.

A proven fact? Then what is this stuff under the silver base on this coppertone 1967 Fastback?

This is getting cruel already. I sure do not understand why people latch on to something when they are so obviously wrong and are embarrassing themselves. It will be amusing to see how you twist this.

I maybe a newbie to bicycles but I'm not a newbie to highest levels of restoration experience, I take it seriously and I don't suffer fools gladly. The tools in the background of that last photo should give you some idea.

Since I had this horribly weathered frame laying around I just could not resist to post it. I fully understand that as a newcomer here, that when I start pushing the know it all's around that have over a thousand comments of apparently suspect content, I'm probably not making any friends. You can be as right as rain but still lose badly in the court of public opinion if the public does not like the cut of your jib. I can live with that.

Attachments

• coppertone 001.JPG
    coppertone 001.JPG
    322.5 KB · Views: 331
Last edited:
A proven fact? Then what is this stuff under the silver base on this coppertone 1967 Fastback?

Well that sure looks like red oxide primer to me. To satisfy my curiosity I just examined no less than 15 Chicago built Schwinn frames/forks with Flamboyant paint dating from 1969 through '78 (including a '78 Twinn) and with few exceptions* all of them had red oxide primer under the aluminum basecoat. In fact all were dipped in the red oxide primer as you could see the coating line inside the frame seat mast tubes and fork steerers as well (prior to this topic I didn't realize the red oxide was a dip).

*The only exceptions I found in the frames/forks I checked were the forks (only) on '71-'75 Sports Tourers. Those forks were fully chromed under the paint and consequently were not dipped in red oxide primer prior to painting. However in those specific cases the matching frames were dipped. Likewise I imagine that Paramount frames/forks with chromed lugs would also have been spared the red oxide dip.

Last edited:

I maybe a newbie to bicycles but I'm not a newbie to highest levels of restoration experience, I take it seriously and I don't suffer fools gladly. The This is getting cruel already. I sure do not understand why people latch on to something when they are so obviously wrong and are embarrassing themselves. It will be amusing to see how you twist this.

tools in the background of that last photo should give you some idea.

Since I had this horribly weathered frame laying around I just could not resist to post it. I fully understand that as a newcomer here, that when I start pushing the know it all's around that have over a thousand comments of apparently suspect content, I'm probably not making any friends. You can be as right as rain but still lose badly in the court of public opinion if the public does not like the cut of you jib. I can live with that.

You are the one that's wrong embarrassing yourself. After a few more years of research you'll know what I know and more about the facts. Send me your address and I'll ship you a few frames needing fresh paint, and they do not have any red oxide primer under the silver base coat.

You mean like these? I think I made my case better than adequately. I'll let others decide.
frames1100_3349[1].JPG

Is it just me or does it appear to anyone else that these frames were painted in a vat of skittle food coloring because they sure as hell don't appear to be original Schwinn colors.

Last edited:
Another exception to the "everything gets red oxide primer" were the chrome chainguards. The chrome was the metalic base for the candies. I also heard the difference in the reds as they changed over time was the elimination of pigs blood from the formula. Let the record show that Im not sure about this one, and I am asking the guy that strips all those bikes to show me a little mercy here. Me stupid...me pull all my hair out.:p

Beautiful paintwork on those frames. Are those for your collection or for customers?

Thank you! I have just gone a little Schwinn crazy over the past year. These are for myself but I am thinking of offering a painting service in the near future. The problem is the materiel cost is in the $150 range per frame so adding on the labor I would have to ask for a total of about $400 per frame for a decal ready base coat clear coat frame and fork.. I just don't know if there would be any takers at that kind of money. I also do custom frame work and I will have that ready to show pretty soon as well. Waiting to get stuff back from the platers and it is taking forever.

Here are a few of my other just completed projects.

Attachments

• completed gas pipes 001.JPG
    completed gas pipes 001.JPG
    326.3 KB · Views: 268
  • completed gas pipes 009.JPG
    completed gas pipes 009.JPG
    332.9 KB · Views: 278
  • completed gas pipes 020.JPG
    completed gas pipes 020.JPG
    328.9 KB · Views: 295
Back