When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Schwinn Corvette 5 Speed Registry

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Interesting it has a large flange rear hub.

Good catch! I overlooked that on my first round looking at the pictures but when I was verifying the serial and was taking a closer look at the spoke protector I said "what!" after it hit me in the face.
I'm guessing someone laced an S-7 to a 62 Continental unit. They should have done the front hub too, that would've been cool.

Just entered your Corvette on the list @hatz4katz ...... Had to modify the other K serial numbered entries with the correct date. Seems the type error in the original serial list thru me off by one day. I'm coping your pictures and adding them here since your post was wrapped up in a quote and they don't show up unless one clicks on expand.
I would like to add that this piece is the first actual 1961 serial numbered Corvette to show up with the 1962 style 10 speed cable guides, but it's still a 1961 model. The 11/27/61 L serial numbered Corvettes all had these cable guides and all were built up as 1962 models with the chrome stand and fender braces, and just about all of them having a 1962 cast dated crank.

Before....

View attachment 1027005

After.......

View attachment 1027006

View attachment 1027010
Thank you, Gary for your help and info getting this bike back to original.

1562741410054.png
@hatz4katz Makes me happy to see another one cleaned up and back on the road. It sure looked good leading that pack of old beaters! LOL

View attachment 1028339 @hatz4katz Makes me happy to see another one cleaned up and back on the road. It sure looked good leading that pack of old beaters! LOL
Thanks, Gary. The help from you and Brian sure made the task easier. BTW: Corvette 5 speed = fast bike, rider: Not so fast....
Next up on the project list is a red Corvette 5 speed frame. Need rims, brakes, handlebars, and god knows what else as I proceed with the build.

Had a local collector/flipper buy a bike from me recently. Showed him the bikes in my collection. He started rambling on about the 5 speed corvette and how it was first advertised in 1960. He said he had an ad from some magazine (can't remember the name) from 1960 advertising the 5 speed Corvette. He was rambling on random "facts" about Schwinn bikes, most of which were wrong, so I didn't give it much creedance. Anyone know anything about the supposed ad campaign he's talking about?

This is the earliest one I've seen, and it was dated July 1961.

1565140524934.png

The Winter scene comic ad was in multiple comic books for the December 61 issues and probably on stands in fall. That buyer must be thinking about the brand new Continental or maybe the Varsity for 1960.

1565140764719.png

1565140803225.png

Here's information of my BLACK, Schwinn 5 speed Corvette's for the registry ...
Serial # A228151, January 24, 1962, small spoke protector, cable U-stops.
Original condition.
Purchased from the original owner, he used this as a newspaper route bicycle, original had a 4 reflector round loop rear rack, it broke so he replaced with the later 2 reflector rack, OG headlight, Schwinn HD W/W Tractor Tread Tires, has the small spoke protector, cable U-Stops, OG Seat broke and replaced with a more padded Messenger Seat, needs a good cleaning.

IMG_8307.JPG

IMG_8311.JPG

IMG_8315.JPG

IMG_8314.JPG

Last edited:
Back