When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Schwinn Corvette 5 Speed Registry

-
IMG_5169.PNG
Here's my 61 Corvette I picked up at a rummage sale quite a few years back I still have it the serial numbers are L151445

Super nice original Corvette Mike! I have yet to get one that still had the light. And a L15XXXX 11/27/61 serial number! The Corvette 5 speeds with that dated serial number were all built as the new 1962 models. Most all of these on the Registry that were complete originals also had a 1962 cast dated crank. There were some changes on the 62's so that also helps in identifying the model year. The 62's had the U welded on cable guides and the 61's had the brazed on tubes. The shifter mount was also electro welded on and the 61's were brazed on. The fender braces and kickstands were Chrome on the 62's and 61's had cadmium plated stands and braces. The 61 Mesingers had three rivets per side and the 62's had two per side, but I've seen many early built 62 models with the 3 rivet seat and Schwinn was probably using up their earlier stock. I'd be curious to know what your crank cast date is if you have that info handy. I'd also like to know if your spoke protector is the solid piece or the slotted. I can barely see the edge of it in the picture.

Thanks for posting your Corvette, and I'll get it entered on the Registry. Looks like it's the earliest L151 serial.

Last edited:
My bike has the three rivet seat chrome kickstand and fender braces solid pie pan and I haven't had the crank out in a while

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here's my 5 Spd as found a few mos. ago, #H1157XX dated 08-03-1961. Haven't pulled the crank yet to date it. It needs a lotta love-It's been rattle-canned and needs some (a bunch of) missing parts but it's a five-speed Corvette.

IMG_3727.JPG

Here's my 5 Spd as found a few mos. ago, #H1157XX dated 08-03-1961. Haven't pulled the crank yet to date it. It needs a lotta love-It's been rattle-canned and needs some (a bunch of) missing parts but it's a five-speed Corvette.

View attachment 450959

I love those Corvette 5 speed projects! If I remember correctly, that was originally Radiant Blue. What's the current plan for that one? You can do a correct color RB rattle can paint job and then build it up as 5 speed Corvette (beach) Cruiser and put all those Cali Klunkers and Spitfire 5's to shame. :p
Get me the full serial and I'll add it to the Registry.

Rattle Can Paint Match. The new improved match. :D

Blue Paint Match 001.JPG
Blue Paint Match 002.JPG

Here's another one for the registry. I got this a few years back off Craigslist from a man who was more into cars. The serial number is L151683 and the dealer sticker reads "Pepper's Bicycles, 4130 E. Colfax (At Ash St)". Searching the internet, Pepper's Bicycles is no longer in business but were maybe in Denver CO, and that's about all I know about the history of this bike. The headlight and the seat rail are gone, there's some rust, the decals are worn and it has a set of Schwinn Tractor tires, but it looks original otherwise. And somebody stuck orange tape on the sides of the pedals. Better visibility if you're safety minded.

IMG_1713.JPG

IMG_1715.JPG

IMG_1716.JPG

IMG_1720.JPG

IMG_1721.JPG

IMG_1723.JPG

IMG_1725.JPG

IMG_1726.JPG

IMG_1731.JPG

IMG_1733.JPG

IMG_1737.JPG

IMG_1728.JPG

Nice survivor Oilit. :cool: Appears to be an unmolested original 1962! Have you taken it out for a ride yet?
The teeth on the freewheel are in excellent shape indicating it's a low mile bike, but I see one tooth on the chain ring that's questionable. I'd love to see this one all spruced up.

Got it on the list, thanks!

@GTs58, Thanks! I haven't done a whole lot to this one. I got it just as I was getting back into bicycles, and I wanted to make sure I knew what I was doing before I tried anything drastic. I've cleaned up some of the chrome but that's about it. Now that I know more about it I probably ought to call the guy I got it from and see if I can find out more about it's history.

Picked this one up off of Facebook on Saturday for $200 a little over an hour away from my house. S/N H115631

Has anyone ever see a 5 speed Corvette with "Stik Shift" by the shifter before? Mines the only one I've seen so far and it doesn't appear to be a decal...

IMG_0446.JPG
IMG_0447.JPG

Last edited:
Back