When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Schwinn Corvette 5 Speed Registry

-
Your first question is hard to answer. From sales on eBay, a regular Corvette $250+ and for a 5 speed $600+.

The Corvette production lasted for 11 years and the Corvette 5 speed production was spotty and produced a day or two in each of it's 9 1/2 month total production time.

First thing to look for is all the correct drive train components. All the other components were the same as the regular Corvettes. Another thing to look for is it has all 3 cable guides and shifter mount. The type of cable guides on the 62 model are notorious for being broken or missing.

Here's the "5 speed" corevette! I'm thinking it's not an original 5 speed?!

IMG_4698.PNG

Here's the "5 speed" corevette! I'm thinking it's not an original 5 speed?!

That is a real 1962 Corvette 5 speed. The welded on shifter mount may have been broken off. The shifter mount and cable guides were spot welded verses being brazed on like the 61 models. Fork is bent.

From what I can see in that picture it looks like it has the original derailleur and spoke protector. The freewheel and rear hub is most likely the original also but can't tell from the picture. That stick shift looks like it came out of a Kenworth 18 speed. There are huret clamp on shifter mounts for the original set up if the mount is broken off then that shifter can be used on a Sting Ray. The front carrier and light are missing and the picture doesn't show the 50$ rear reflector. Fenders and rims look very nice, but pictures are deceptive with the bright work. What's the seller's price range?

And, was the serial number posted?

Last edited:
This one recently changed hands again so the new owner's name would be appreciated. You can PM me and I'll update the Registry.
The serial number posted by the previous owner H113651 doesn't match the one Krateness posted. I'm inclined to believe the number Krateness posted is correct. SN H115631.

img_0446-jpg.jpg

dsc_6614-jpg.jpg

dsc_6615-jpg.jpg

I am the new owner of this one. Hoping to do a conservative restoration without having to repaint anything.

Cool! Just updated the list. Is the bike in your hands now? Bob said the rear rim was bad but I couldn't see anything wrong in the pictures. A few new spokes so maybe it needs truing?

I do have the bike. Unpacked it yesterday. Rear rim issue is a lot of rust - I think the chrome has been worn off where the brake pads touched on one side of the rim. Bob included a decent shape rim in the deal, so I'll be replacing the rim.

Also, the tear drop reflector is black. Is that correct or is this a replacement? Most pictures of the Corvette 5 seem to have chrome colored reflectors. The reflector was damaged in shipping, so I'm going to have to get a replacement anyway. Just want to know what's correct.

Thanks!

Reflector.JPG

Bummer having to replace the rim. Getting the freewheel off without damage to do so can be a pain even with the correct freewheel tool.
I believe there may have been two different suppliers of those S reflector housings or a possible chrome cladding process change at some time. I've seen where the chrome wears off and it's black underneath and some were it looks like the plastic on the inside of the housing. The actual finish is simulated chrome

Bummer having to replace the rim. Getting the freewheel off without damage to do so can be a pain even with the correct freewheel tool.
I believe there may have been two different suppliers of those S reflector housings or a possible chrome cladding process change at some time. I've seen where the chrome wears off and it's black underneath and some were it looks like the plastic on the inside of the housing. The actual finish is simulated chrome
Looks like the plastic is a white/gray color on the inside. So, the black must either be deteriorated "simulated" chrome, or a layer in between the plastic and "chrome" coating for better adhesion?

In either case, I'll be looking for a nice replacement.

By the way, I think the serial number you have listed is incorrect. The 5th digit is very weak, but I'm fairly certain it is a 7 and not a 1. So, the serial number should be H113703.

Also, front fork is marked 101, which I assume means October '61.

Back