When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Schwinn Corvette help

-

Maurice

Look Ma, No Hands!
Cabers, still fairly new to the old Schwinn world, other than riding around on a Stingray as a little kid in the '60s. Picked up this Corvette. Ebay $125. Rusty and crusty, as advertised... My 1st Corvette model. And starting to fall in love with the Corvette models for sure. Would luv your help in determining what's correct. Or not. I'm not sure about both racks (front WALD), rear no idea. And the Miller generator lights? Serial number K979129. What I'm finding is 1959? First thoughts are blow it apart, just clean/polish regrease and new cool white wall tires. And ride...Thanks in advance !!!
!

1959 was a big transition year for Schwinn and most all the models were pretty much updated with new decals, chain guards, carriers and racks, new paint names, the S seats, new S reflectors and more.
I didn't realize that the wire support on the bottom of these first new chain guards was still being used that late in the model year! K is October! So here's the not original list. The shifter is newer, grips should be the flush ovals and white, missing the front carrier that should be the dual stage aluminum Mayweg. The generator lights were a dealer option on most models other than the Traveler where they were standard equipment. Have fun!!

Last edited:
Cabers, still fairly new to the old Schwinn world, other than riding around on a Stingray as a little kid in the '60s. Picked up this Corvette. Ebay $125. Rusty and crusty, as advertised... My 1st Corvette model. And starting to fall in love with the Corvette models for sure. Would luv your help in determining what's correct. Or not. I'm not sure about both racks (front WALD), rear no idea. And the Miller generator lights? Serial number K979129. What I'm finding is 1959? First thoughts are blow it apart, just clean/polish regrease and new cool white wall tires. And ride...Thanks in advance !!!
!View attachment 1626601

View attachment 1626602

View attachment 1626603

View attachment 1626604

View attachment 1626605

View attachment 1626606

View attachment 1626607
That should clean up nicely. The fenders are stainless steel and the wheels should clean up well. The handlebars look pretty beat up. Looks to have lots of original stuff. The pedals were 1 or 2 year style. A good clean and grease will do wonders enjoy.This is my '59 not all original but I really like this one. Good luck

IMG_0253 (2).jpg

IMG_0255 (1).jpg

Thanks for the info guys! Ya I had no idea what that little chainguard wire was. Hadn't ever seen one before. Glad to hear it's original GT. Since both racks are NOT original Schwinn, I'll leave them off when it goes back together. Did all Corvette models have white grips? The rear reflector is THE coolest reflector. Bummer the "S" is worn off...
Was gonna air the tires up and take it for a lap around the block to see if everything works. But the tires don't hold air. I really wanted to see if the 3 speed hub actually worked. Fingers crossed it does. I've never been inside one of these. Surprised the shifter is not 1959. Bottom line, the Corvette models are sexy and I can't wait to get it back together.
Thanks again for the info and help!

Back