When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Schwinn Corvette help

-
49autocycle your 1960 2 speed is very cool! It looks totally original. It's as coaster brake 2 speed? Asking just because I noticed your bike has a rear frame bracket for a handbrake just like mine. Or am I mistaken. Or did they all run that same bracket regardless? I also noticed that your shifter cable runs down the bottom tube of the bike. I like that. Much cleaner. Mine runs along the top tube.
I dig the S seats and the cool crash bar. Was the crash bar an option or did it come on certain models? And do the seat springs come apart for cleaning/service? Thanks

Just thought of another question while staring at my bike. What headlight did the Corvette models come with stock? Apparently the generator light system on this one were dealer options. Thought they were cool as a kid but remembering they didn't work very well.

49autocycle your 1960 2 speed is very cool! It looks totally original. It's as coaster brake 2 speed? Asking just because I noticed your bike has a rear frame bracket for a handbrake just like mine. Or am I mistaken. Or did they all run that same bracket regardless? I also noticed that your shifter cable runs down the bottom tube of the bike. I like that. Much cleaner. Mine runs along the top tube.
I dig the S seats and the cool crash bar. Was the crash bar an option or did it come on certain models? And do the seat springs come apart for cleaning/service? Thanks
That is a Bendix manual 2 speed, yes coaster brake they are great 2 speeds. The levers and cables are totally different. The factory routing of the 3 speed is on the top bar and 2 speed is lower, I imagine you could run the 3 speed on the bottom not sure though.

The Deluxe Mesinger crash rail seat was only used on the Corvette, Jaguar and Fair Lady. That seat had 4 slight variations over the years and was first used on the 1958 models, but the monogram detailing was absent and that started on the 59 models. The chassis can be taken apart for cleaning and the cover can be removed if you want to drill out the rivets.

There were a few different lights used on the Corvettes over the years so the different lights will be year specific. The 59 models used the CEV light and partsguy has a thread on redoing his.

49autocycle your 1960 2 speed is very cool! It looks totally original. It's as coaster brake 2 speed? Asking just because I noticed your bike has a rear frame bracket for a handbrake just like mine. Or am I mistaken. Or did they all run that same bracket regardless?
this style fender bridge was not just for mounting a brake. this bike is original and a coaster brake. I also have a 1981 Cruiser 5 with the same bridge and that one has a drum brake out back. not sure why they changed it.

Fender bridge. That's the term, ok thanks. This morning I wheeled my bike into El Sobrante Cyclery to chat with Gary there. I'm in Norcal and the shop isn't far away. I found this bike shop by word of mouth recently, and Gary opened it in the 1950's. Probably 2-3 dozen antique Schwinn bikes hanging from the ceiling! When he saw my 59 Corvette he says, "I sold those when they were brand new". Music to my ears! He went over EVERY detail of the bike with me. Super cool. I blew it apart today, and the hope is to clean and polish tomorrow. Regrease and reassemble. Thanks for the help so far everybody. Greatly appreciated!

Going back together. Clear coating the bare frame won the coin toss vs waxing it after sponge bath. CLR soak overnight to remove surface rust from chrome stuff. And polished wheels with Quick Glo paste. Also decided to run slightly larger white wall tires. Should fill in gaps between tires and fenders a little better. We'll see once mounted. Hopefully get this Corvette back up and riding in a few days.

You were right CBJ, I am happy with them! Spent some time closing the gap between tire and fenders. Taller tires of course, and took 1/2" out of a few fender braces, plus added some spacers. Nice when stock but I just wanted to tighten it all up a bit. Sexier in my opinion. Left the non correct racks off, and Miller generator lights. Still waiting on the correct white grips and very cool seat tube decal, but took her out for the first ride today!

IMG_0740.jpg

Back