When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Schwinn Corvette

-

Kramai88

Wore out three sets of tires already!
Picked up this Corvette project today. It has a weird serial number but I think it might be a 57. I’ll start doing some cleanup and see how it turns out.
aef9a09677b86a79ecbb20888fa4ef9a.jpg

c32a48fc57b95c8a2e0d17003d646624.jpg

9e08d39bae09c678ad9c96c1224b9e96.jpg

da2aefa7d3c128be446a63bab0080744.jpg

f350bef008dd16f215c997d894b40641.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It most likely is a 1957 and if also looks like a number (third one) was not stamped where it should have been. Roger

That's an unusual thumb shift. I've seen pictures of them on Schwinns, but not many. Is your rear hub a Sturmey-Archer or one of the "Schwinn Approved - Made in Austria" versions?
Good find!

That's an unusual thumb shift. I've seen pictures of them on Schwinns, but not many. Is your rear hub a Sturmey-Archer or one of the "Schwinn Approved - Made in Austria" versions?
Good find!

Made in Austria Schwinn Approved

Made in Austria Schwinn Approved

I've heard that the Made in Austria units were used in 1959, after Sturmey-Archer dropped the trouble-prone SW hub and went back to the AW, because it took them a while to get back to full production. But Schwinn had already built bikes with SW hubs (I've got one of them, a 1958 Tiger), so I'm wondering if they went back and replaced some of the earlier hubs under warranty with the Austrian hubs. It's pure speculation on my part, but it seems plausible. Does anyone have any documented information?

Could have been a bike shop replacement for a broken other hub. In the last 61 years who knows when it happened. Roger

1958 Schwinn Reporter:

"Sturmey-Archer SW hubs will not be available after 10/24/58. Models which used this hub will have Schwinn Approved hubs installed instead. The SW will be available again on 1/1/59."

The availability date must have been pushed to a much later date for some reason.

Back