When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Schwinn crank issue for dx

-
Nice, I like it. I wonder how the bike has functioned for the past 67 years? I gather it was not complete and operational when you got it.

Is the clearance between crank and chain stay on the left side really excessive? Frame issues aside, there is always more than one way to skin a cat. Perhaps more spacers behind the chainwheel will do the trick (as Brian suggested)... or bend the crank outward on the right side a little, or a combination of both. If you don't like the feel (pedaling) of a bent crank, you can bent the pedal shaft to compensate. Although I find that you will quickly adjust to the feel of a bent crank.

When I got the frame it was completly bare. Then took every thing off of the 46 and reinstalled it onto this one. Painted fenders, Chainguard and fork. The distance on the left side looks normal when comparing it to my 46 BFg dx. I think I'll try and find a couple more spacers and see what happens.

IMG_3517_zpsj4j38ucb-1.jpg

Thanks man. I'm going to try a couple more cranks next week. I thought about using a non schwinn dogleg but I think it would be sacrilege.

Back