When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Schwinn cruiser identity help

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Found this on a search for “1990 Schwinn Catalog” and the small round head badge is on this one.

DA403591-4311-4BBB-B6F7-0338EBEC800E.jpeg

Ok that's what I saw as well, I'm assuming it's just the model that makes it different. But just to show you what it is I'm looking at that is throwing me off, heres a pic of a 74' frame vs. This one, granted they are two totally different frames, the 74' frames top and bottom tubes mold into the head tube and the 72' is different. But most of the bikes I've came across have the design like the 74' as apposed to the 72's style.View attachment 1012570

View attachment 1012571
Nothing like the quality of old Schwinn construction! Ah, the good ol’ days!

Yeah that is kinda what I was thinking, the forks seemed to be from a more modern bike. The only part about the head badge is when I found the bike, the head badge was mounted upside down, so either it had just been removed and replaced wrong or it's not the original, I would say they removed it to paint it but I believe the original color is under the badge and they obviously painted right over the badge when the previous owner did paint it.

Reactions: Buz
Cool thanks buz! I couldn't find one with the round badge, looks like we got it figured out! Thanks again!

The OP's bike definitely doesn't look like a 1990 to me. Note the rear chain guard mounting tabs, the Taiwan bikes picture in that 90 catalog image above had the mounting tab welded to the seat stay, not the chain stay. Schwinn welded them to the chain stay and this one is new being integrated into the drop out. Not your typical Schmurray job or the early Taiwanese bikes I'm used to seeing. That frame looks likes crap, just look at the BB chain stay joints! Good gawd! I had a 90 Taiwan Cruiser 5 with those ugly decals and the frame didn't look like this one. I really don't think that head badge is original to that frame, UNLESS they made this frame/bike in 2000. That Red Cruiser pictured above doesn't look 1990 either. Not sure if the 92 model had the drop out incorporated rear guard mount, but the 1993 sure did. I can only assume the OP's frame is maybe a 92 or for sure 93 and newer. The Chinese did cast the cranks and some that I've seen had a year stamping code.

1560133991274.png

1993 Catalog

1560135099687.png

By the way, that 93 catalog image above does show the ugly bottom and top tube joints at the head tube. Looks like someone stuck a tube in a belly button. lmao

I've narrowed down the years to a possible 1992, easy 1993 and possible 94 model. Details that tell me this is the way the rear of the chain guard is mounted, the BMX style stem, the tube fork with the Mickey Mouse ears at the drop out and style of chain guard. If you can remove some paint to see what the decals looked like that would get you closer to the year since the 92 still had the ugly decals that were issued in 1990.

Here's some interesting information that I just came across. Now I can see why there was a difference with the chain guard rear mounting to the drop out and the belly button welds. Like I said, the Taiwanese frames had a rear guard mounting tab welded to the chain stay and their joints were much cleaner. Schwinn imported the Cruisers after the Schmurrays but for a short time Schwinn imported a few bikes from their Hungarian Plant. Your frame/bike was made in Hungary! Thanks to Mark @mrg for his pictures of a Hungarian girls Balloon Cruiser frame. Note the right drop out where the guard mounts and the lovely welds.

1560150536887.png

1560150570168.png

Ya, same badge as my Hungarian had, they were even making S2's there before the fire!

Just in case you didn't realize, that stem looks like it's way too high. Before you do any riding, I would sugges that you drop it down to the insertion point that is probably marked on the stem.

From a discussion about a year ago. Someone trying to identify their bikes. Hungarians 88 thru 93. And Jeffs pics of a 93 and 91, could be a 90 surely not a 72.

The relationship was a hell of a lot longer than 14 months. The initial negotiations went on for that amount of time. 1988 thru 1993.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-xpm-1993-08-25-9308250042-story.html

And yet, 10 months after Schwinn-Csepel's U.S. parent declared bankruptcy, the five-year-old joint venture keeps churning out bikes.

Two photos from 1991 and 1993 Schwinn catalog. The first is 1993, brand new graphics on bike the exact same as yours. and the second, old style Graphics (fonts) through the mid 80's too early (obviously) 90's,

1993:

View attachment 886087

1991:
View attachment 886088

https://waterfordbikes.com/SchwinnCat/flschwinn_1991_2000/1992_cc_Recreation_2.html

Back