When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Schwinn cruiser identity help

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Wow, thankyou guys so much for all the help, yes I noticed the stem was way to high as well. Speaking of the stem it is made by HL? The same manufacturer made the GT handlebars that came on a 99' interceptor I have. The crank appears to be made by YST corporation. And the stamp on it reads FU-PA0165
20190610_175156.jpg

20190610_175227.jpg

20190610_175423.jpg

20190610_175322.jpg

20190610_175408.jpg

From a discussion about a year ago. Someone trying to identify their bikes. Hungarians 88 thru 93. And Jeffs pics of a 93 and 91, could be a 90 surely not a 72.

The catalog image Jeff54 says is a 91 is actually a 1992 catalog image. I had a 90 Cruiser 5 with the same decals and the Schwinn oval head badge and it was built in Taiwan. In the 92 catalog the image of the Cruiser sure makes it look like the rear of the chain guard is mounted to the dropout judging by the location of the screw head and has a round head badge so a possible image of the Hungarian made Cruiser. On Sheldon Brown's site it's said that Schwinn never imported bikes from the Hungarian plant, and I find that odd and false information. Schwinn dumped a bucket load of $'s in that old factory, and I'm sure it took a while to get it to the point where it was producing bikes with the Schwinn name. Exactly when they were first imported to the US is a good question. And another question is, did Schwinn import these Cruisers from both Hungary and Taiwan at the same time? I believe they may have. That would verify the head badge build date on the OP's bike as a 90. If the OP can verify his bike had the 1990 decals that would be great!

1990 Taiwan built Schwinn Cruiser.

1560216047619.png

Unfortunately the bike was painted at least once but I think twice maybe. Under the badge was a darker shade of blue, it looked like they painted over the decals so I used some graffiti remover and it was actually just, what I was the original white that was showing up through the crappy paint job, the stem was painted as well which also was white under the paint. Unfortunately no decals to show though.

So I've also figured out, the "HL" on the stem is Hsin Lung, the crank is a FU PAO and the BB components are YST corporation. All of these brands came on some vintage BMX bikes. In your opinions do you think this is all aftermarket or did these parts come on "90's" cruiser bikes?

So I've also figured out, the "HL" on the stem is Hsin Lung, the crank is a FU PAO and the BB components are YST corporation. All of these brands came on some vintage BMX bikes. In your opinions do you think this is all aftermarket or did these parts come on "90's" cruiser bikes?

Schwinn outsourced just about everything at this time so odds are those parts came with the bike.

Unfortunately the bike was painted at least once but I think twice maybe. Under the badge was a darker shade of blue, it looked like they painted over the decals so I used some graffiti remover and it was actually just, what I was the original white that was showing up through the crappy paint job, the stem was painted as well which also was white under the paint. Unfortunately no decals to show though.

Have you pulled the fork yet? I doubt the person(s) that rattle canned it took the time to remove the fork for painting. The fork steer tube should have the original paint on it. That Blue that was under the head badge may have been the original color, but the steer tube will tell all. Here's the color info I've gathered for these years. 92 only for a Blue.

Taiwan.. 1990- Black and Poppy Red (AKA Pink)
Taiwan.. 1991- Black, Poppy Red and White Spider
Hungary 1992- Starmist Black and Blue Flake
Hungary 1993- Eclipse Black and Red Metallic

Edited to add the country or origin using the rear chain guard mounting

Last edited:
Ha!!! That's original paint! White Spider is the name, funky is the game. :D One year only, so now you know. And it looks like Schwinn imported from everyone and anyone.

1560224741057.png

Back