When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Schwinn cruiser identity help

-
Here's a little history if you're interested in that sort of thing. Somewhat explains what was going on here and backs up the idea that Schwinn imported from both Taiwan and Hungary, at the same time.

http://re-cycle.com/History/Schwinn/Swn10_Bankrupt.aspx

In the late 80s Schwinn had made it clear that it would be moving away from Giant. Giant, in turn had become a direct competitor. But Schwinn would never be able to fully rid itself of Giant manufactured bikes. In 1990, Ed announced that Schwinn would be aggressively severing all ties with the manufacturer. A year later Schwinn had to go back to Giant because their other factories couldn’t keep up. Schwinn just didn’t have access to the capacity they needed. Therefore, Giant continued to have access to Schwinn’s latest plans.

So I've also figured out, the "HL" on the stem is Hsin Lung, the crank is a FU PAO and the BB components are YST corporation. All of these brands came on some vintage BMX bikes. In your opinions do you think this is all aftermarket or did these parts come on "90's" cruiser bikes?

Here is one local to me that doesn't look to be messed with. https://southjersey.craigslist.org/bik/d/toms-river-26-schwinn-beach-cruiser/6908315104.html Interesting about the HL stem, I have an 89 with the same stem and fork have to open it up and look at it.

Thanks, that was a interesting article. I was going to ask, if my bike was more valuable being a one year only color ( if I can save it) and also being a Hungarian bike. After reading this article it would be safe to assume that, it may be kind of a rare bike but to anyone that would have the knowledge about the bikes that came out of Hungary, would know the quality of the Hungary bikes wasn't up go par.
Here is one local to me that doesn't look to be messed with. https://southjersey.craigslist.org/bik/d/toms-river-26-schwinn-beach-cruiser/6908315104.html Interesting about the HL stem, I have an 89 with the same stem and fork have to open it up and look at it.
Ok, so the parts look to be factory then I would say. Reading that article about the Hungarian factor, I wonder if schwinn had to outsource the stems, cranks and BB's.

When the Hungarian bike were being built Schwinn out sourced everything used on their bikes. Early 1980s was when the had the last in house parts made and maybe even earlier. Roger

When the Hungarian bike were being built Schwinn out sourced everything used on their bikes. Early 1980s was when the had the last in house parts made and maybe even earlier. Roger

But the tooling for the S-2 rims was sent to Budapest. Not sure if they made the Clover chain rings there but it's possible. Forgot now what year these 90's Cruisers are spec'd out with aluminum rims. And not sure if that was just for the Taiwan builds or both factories since the Hungarian factory was making S-2's.
Hungary S-2 b.jpg

Hungary S-2.jpg

Unfortunately it appears that the rims on my bike are not the original rims. The rear is a hi-stop coaster brake but I haven't found any markings of a mfg yet.

The OP's bike definitely doesn't look like a 1990 to me. Note the rear chain guard mounting tabs, the Taiwan bikes picture in that 90 catalog image above had the mounting tab welded to the seat stay, not the chain stay. Schwinn welded them to the chain stay and this one is new being integrated into the drop out. Not your typical Schmurray job or the early Taiwanese bikes I'm used to seeing. That frame looks likes crap, just look at the BB chain stay joints! Good gawd! I had a 90 Taiwan Cruiser 5 with those ugly decals and the frame didn't look like this one. I really don't think that head badge is original to that frame, UNLESS they made this frame/bike in 2000. That Red Cruiser pictured above doesn't look 1990 either. Not sure if the 92 model had the drop out incorporated rear guard mount, but the 1993 sure did. I can only assume the OP's frame is maybe a 92 or for sure 93 and newer. The Chinese did cast the cranks and some that I've seen had a year stamping code.

View attachment 1012912

1993 Catalog

View attachment 1012913
I have this red cruiser bike. I think i still have the owners manual. Not sure what year i bought it 90 to 94. It is all orignal in process of getting new tires (original and rotted), kickstand is broke (unable to get kickstand out, yet) a few scratches here and there, just used wolfgang uber rinseless wash with some spray wax mixed in, then polished it with Auto Glym Radiant wax-polish. Its shiny. Brand new, the wheels were not straight no matter who tried to straighten them. Taking it to a bike shop in Ontario Ca. see if they can get the kickstand out should i be unable to. Will try to update with a picture and owners manual hopefully with a date.

Found this on a search for “1990 Schwinn Catalog” and the small round head badge is on this one.

View attachment 1012589
I have this red cruiser bike. I think i still have the owners manual. Not sure what year i bought it 90 to 94. It is all orignal in process of getting new tires (tires original and rotted), kickstand is broke (unable to get kickstand out, yet) a few scratches here and there, just used wolfgang uber rinseless wash with some spray wax mixed in, then polished it with Auto Glym Radiant wax-polish. Its shiny. Brand new, the wheels were not straight no matter who tried to straighten them. Taking it to a bike shop in Ontario Ca. see if they can get the kickstand out should i be unable to. Will try to update with a picture and owners manual hopefully with a date. Yes made in Hungary.

I have this red cruiser bike. I think i still have the owners manual. Not sure what year i bought it 90 to 94. It is all orignal in process of getting new tires (tires original and rotted), kickstand is broke (unable to get kickstand out, yet) a few scratches here and there, just used wolfgang uber rinseless wash with some spray wax mixed in, then polished it with Auto Glym Radiant wax-polish. Its shiny. Brand new, the wheels were not straight no matter who tried to straighten them. Taking it to a bike shop in Ontario Ca. see if they can get the kickstand out should i be unable to. Will try to update with a picture and owners manual hopefully with a date. Yes made in Hungary.

There should be 4 digits stamped on the head badge. That's the date the bike was built. First three numbers are the day of the year and last digit is the last digit of the year.

There should be 4 digits stamped on the head badge. That's the date the bike was built. First three numbers are the day of the year and last digit is the last digit of the year.
Mine is 0491 I am guessing April 1991? Or as you stated April 9 1991?

Back