When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Schwinn Debutante...I'm a Glutton for Punishment...

-
The horn unit is in there...well, most of it. Button got banged up when the tank got hit, but ironically even the spring for it is still there. I thought it was missing completely when I bought it. Useless at this point though.

IMG_2507.jpeg

Aagh!! I did it again! 😢 I was hoping to be able to move the switch levers under the dual lights, but figured maybe leave it alone. And I did...for a minute. One lever moved, the other either fell off or snapped (probably) into the unit. When will I learn...~!@#$%^&. I'm leaving the guts in there where they are. I'm not tempting fate again.

Cleanup on other pieces continues with still more to do on the tank and rear rack... 🧐

IMG_2583.jpeg

IMG_2581.jpeg

IMG_2582.jpeg

IMG_2584.jpeg

IMG_2585.jpeg

More AAUGH!! I forgot that Windex eats off the silk-screening...so goodbye SCHWINN and DEBUTANTE on the chain guard.(and some on the tank). 😢 I really am my own worst !@#$%^ enemy. 😕

The paint is looking decent so far, considering I was just going to keep parts off of the bike initially. Spending way more time on this bike than I had planned to, but lets see what happens when I'm done. Worst case, it becomes a parts bike after all.

IMG_2597.jpeg

IMG_2596.jpeg

IMG_2595.jpeg

Well, I found where the missing spoke went.
I started to clean the teeth on the hub and saw something sticking out. Turns out it was the nipple, with the spoke wrapped around it. I need a hacksaw to cut it loose and a pair of pliers. Just another day working on this bike...🤪

IMG_2625.jpeg

IMG_2626.jpeg

IMG_2627.jpeg

IMG_2629.jpeg

IMG_2630.jpeg

I see progress. The paint looks like it’s cleaning up better than I imagined it would. You always seem get stuff looking nice again.

Evapo-Rust worked very well on the paint...MUCH better than I had dared hope for. And since I don't have gallons of it to have placed the frame into (just a half gallon in an old plastic Tupperware), I wound up using a small brush and scrubbing the paint. When that seemed to be working, I then dipped 0000 steel wool in it and gently did that.

I was amazed at how well the head tube cleaned up! Paint looks better from far away as you can expect, but it's like night and day so far when you compare it to when I brought it home. The fork legs are giving me more of a battle!

More to do, of course, but it gives me the drive to keep going forward. 🙂

Back