When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Schwinn differences

-
I suppose we could run down that rabbit hole with a whole lot of things e.g. 'shorty lever', 'tomahawk' stem but most people refer to the place where the rear axle sits as a 'drop out'. V/r Shawn
Thank you Shawn...i didnt want to open that waste of my time...tomatoes tomatos..i call them drop outs..i know the difference

When it comes to Schwinns, straight bar or cantilever how can you tell what it is unless it's all original with patina ? Serial #s will give you year but will it also give model ? When you buy a frame (straight bar) w/out a tank how do you know what tank you need ? Seems a frame can be built up and be called whatever youde like to call it. DX straight bar, Hornet straight bar with added forks, fenders and chain guard could become one in the same..no ? And with cantilever frames being the same throughout the years could make things even more confusing. Are there differences in the frames throughout the years besides kickstands ? Thank you..stay healthy
This thread wasn't intended to ruffle feathers or make me appear ignorant...in a nutshell it was an inquiry of what a serial number is, more than a year of build..but does it show model destination ? Seems once repaint is done there's no way to show what it really started out as..if you dont want a BF Goodrich bike change the head badge..you want a autocycle, use the right frame as a base and install appropriate parts...si or no ?

This thread wasn't intended to ruffle feathers or make me appear ignorant...in a nutshell it was an inquiry of what a serial number is, more than a year of build..but does it show model destination ? Seems once repaint is done there's no way to show what it really started out as..if you dont want a BF Goodrich bike change the head badge..you want a autocycle, use the right frame as a base and install appropriate parts...si or no ?
Yep

@Hudman I was not directing any of this towards you nor did I intended to make you appear ignorant so I'm sorry it came out like that. This is an ongoing rabbit hole where people continue to write books and post information on the internet that is incorrect or just plain ignorant to the facts. Spreading BS to thousands of those that are just learning is a major disservice as far as I'm concerned and it's totally unnecessary.

I suppose we could run down that rabbit hole with a whole lot of things e.g. 'shorty lever', 'tomahawk' stem but most people refer to the place where the rear axle sits as a 'drop out'. V/r Shawn

And exactly why do most people call all rear fork ends a drop out when they are not? And then they have to describe what way they are facing? LMAO. I had an old neighbor across the street and he was still talking baby talk to his Son when he 8 years old. When his Son was 16 he had a speech disorder and the last time I talked to him he was getting speech therapy. All that could have been easily avoided from the very beginning, but his Father didn't take any of the subtle hints from friends and neighbors about what he was doing to his Son.

Back