When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Schwinn Double Straight Bar Thread

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Jay81

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
Ok, figured I'd start this thread due to the common misconception that the Schwinn double straight bar frame was one year only, as I keep seeing people making this claim. It was not one year only, I have seen and or heard of them ranging from 1959 through 1962.

Now, there are two different versions of this frame,
One version, the double straight bars and seat stays are all one piece.
On the other version, the double straight bars are independent of the seat stays.

There are three models that I know of are the Typhoon, Tornado and Skipper.

I do not know all the details on these, or what models were produced in what years using which version of this frame, but feel free to add what you know, and post pics of your double straight bar Schwinn, along with model and year.

Here is my June 1961 Schwinn Skipper 24" with the frame where the straight bars and seat stays are one piece. My bike also has a bolt on kickstand, not sure what the other models have for kickstands.

There is a 1962 Typhoon on one of the FB groups with the same bar/stay setup as my Skipper.

20170928_171019-jpg.jpg

20170928_171101-jpg.jpg

20170928_171105-jpg.jpg

20170928_171127-jpg.jpg

typhoon & skipper are the only 2 models with the continuous bars and 1 year 1962 only, tornado has the separate bars

Skipper is not 1962 only, as I mentioned above my Skipper is June 1961.

the skipper isn't listed in the 1961 catalog
http://schwinncruisers.com/catalogs/1961.html
I did forget about the flyingstar

Look again, its there below the flying star. Theres just no link at the top of the page for it. However the picture shows the frame having the two individual bars, and mine has the continuous bars.

1961 Skipper - catalog shows two separate bars
1961-schwinn-skiper.jpg

Here's the 1962 Skipper - cantilever frame
1962-skipper.jpg

Last edited:
In 1959 Schwinn introduced the twin straightbar on the Tornado, but it had a slight curve to it. Later that year it became a true twinn straightbar. In 1961 it was used on the Skipper . The bars were not continuous. Midyear 1961 it changed to a continous twinbar which continued into 1962 to be used on the the Typhoon.By then the Skipper was using the standard cantilever frame . The bikes pictured are a '62 Skipper, an early '61 Skipper, a '59 Tornado,and a late '61 Skipper. If I am missing something, let me know ,but this is what I have found from the bikes I have had, I still have the early 61 Skipper.
20150917_094309.jpg

20160220_135722.jpg
20160424_165037.jpg
IMG_7967.JPG

The red Tornado appears to be a 24" bike. The slight bend in the two bars was not done on the 26" ones. That looks like a nice example, would you post a picture of the whole bike?
REC

Back