When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Schwinn DX... I think?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
A slide hammer is the only thing I can think of off hand to remove that seat post and shim.

This should be a very interesting build, I will definitely follow it.

I like your thinking with that 18t child's chain ring. As far as the Brooks B72, you'll be surprised how comfortable it is, one can go on for hours with out it being an issue.

As far as handlebars, 7/8" moto crossbars are a great choice for aggressive riding.
https://www.btosports.com/p/renthal-offroad-handlebars

650b's should be very interesting, I have never seen that done on a Klunker build.

Klunker below is still going strong.
http://thecabe.com/forum/threads/newly-finished.19600/

That excelsior badge was used 37ish...I don't think it would have turned up on yours....maybe... but highly unlikely...you need the non footed version of this badge

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

1940 schwinn dx97e

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
So Keith, would that make my frame a '40 too? Looks like the same curve.
SUNP0024.jpg

Comments and suggestions are welcome. Especially on how do I get that damn old seat post out???

On old stubborn seat posts, I shoot some WD-40 down the tube and give it time to soak.
I then use vice-grips to twist it off.

This should be a very interesting build, I will definitely follow it.

I like your thinking with that 18t child's chain ring. As far as the Brooks B72, you'll be surprised how comfortable it is, one can go on for hours with out it being an issue.

As far as handlebars, 7/8" moto crossbars are a great choice for aggressive riding.
https://www.btosports.com/p/renthal-offroad-handlebars

650b's should be very interesting, I have never seen that done on a Klunker build.

Klunker below is still going strong.
http://thecabe.com/forum/threads/newly-finished.19600/

Thanks! I recently built a '51 Schwinn Spitfire for a friend with 650B's and the same gearing (skip tooth). I also have an '82-ish Diamondback Ridge Runner that I converted to 650B's and single speed 36x21. Gearing feels spot on to me.

I'm certain the B72 is comfortable, but it would be too wide for a long day of hard pedaling. Can you say chafed thighs? I really would like the handlebars to be older, period correct era stuff. I really want this to look like it was built in the mid 70's. Other than the tires themselves, there's no reason why it couldn't have been.

Nice bike!

Have you tried attaching an old seat to it and trying to twist it out? This has worked for me.

It's stuck far beyond that.

That excelsior badge was used 37ish...I don't think it would have turned up on yours....maybe... but highly unlikely...you need the non footed version of this badge

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Correct, the badge came off of a '37. If someone wants to trade me for the correct era badge I would be happy to. Otherwise I'll use it.

On old stubborn seat posts, I shoot some WD-40 down the tube and give it time to soak.
I then use vice-grips to twist it off.

Yep, tried that. I've been soaking it for over a month now, big vice grips, no dice.

Yep, tried that. I've been soaking it for over a month now, big vice grips, no dice.

Are you trying to save this old seat post?

I'm asking because, if you're not....

You need more force than vice grips.

Drill a hole into the seat post near the top.
Use a pin big enough to insert on the hole you created.
Take a hammer and strike underneath on the pin to
drive the seat post upwards and out.

On very stubborn seat posts, I have drilled holes on the old seat post
and then chipped away with a metal chisel that was small enough to
fit inside the seat post hole.

It was very time consuming, but I finally got the G-D thing out !
Good Luck!

Last edited:
Back