When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Schwinn dx military issue?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Sorry no trades/sale .only redlines I’m into is ones connected to muscle cars...lol...he was at his father’s funeral...I wondered why it was still there ... I called at the right time he just came home.. he said it came from a friend who dug it out of a building wrapped in plastic and was givin to him..... when I got there I knew this was special and very different. I thought the yellow was rattle canned on till my wife mentioned it looked original then the numbers on the back fender clinched it ....I got that this is special feeling.. at first, I didn’t recognise the bars... I talked it over with my wife at break I was thinking military but a schwinn? I read something on schwinn but no proof..then I googled it Up soon as United States naval yard puget sound popped up..and was used during ww2 and changed after the war it blew my mind..this clinched it with the 41 frame date and ww2 naval use... I was prepared for negative responses-because for barley any info so when I posted it ...I’m schocked with the positives.. it must be ....still so little is mentioned..

Nice Military use of a Non-Military, Non-contracted civilian Bicycle. The only Schwinn bicycles that I am aware of contracted by the Military during WWII were about 8 Tandem bikes. However, there were many bikes from different manufacturers used on Military bases that were not officially contracted . Some were likely donated and even obtained through scrap metal drives. Any of these could have been painted OD or yellow chromate, etc. and marked as property of the base or Military yard they were used on. Regardless, it is still a cool bike, not Military, but Military used.

Regards,
Bill

Now that’s the spirit. Yes I love challenges.....exciting....I knew the negs are coming out... I absolutely doubt it’s donated.. the color would be over painted this isn’t. It’s a factory yellow .. and I’d like the explanation of the service award by the government. Why if no bikes were used? Why just tandems? Since there is no records or small amount of info there is no proof for just tandems...As for the front fender it is Franken biked on it.. but it’s yellow I said there are a few parts incorrect but the frame and ness are parts are right..there is one thing on this bike that is different...than a regular civ bike....if your Keen you might catch it but I’m not saying...

I decided to pull the fork and get a few pics.... they really used the heck out of it...there’s red primer inside ...the springer had some serious action use.. one time the springer was painted...too
B6D793A8-3F6F-49BD-8C87-3A04E860CF6D.jpeg

F6989257-63C3-4C89-A76B-E136BD1CEC06.jpeg

1A10D348-C0CD-4821-AF1C-76EDC204D9C2.jpeg

EABE9BAA-8479-4A3E-AB73-05E7A7BCD517.jpeg

FAB3ABC9-7F78-48DE-AB7A-4FB349AE5866.jpeg

820502F0-877E-42F1-9B75-5C8BA6DC2AFF.jpeg

Too funny that’s a 36 done up...not a 41 with FACTORY yellow PAINT .... ...the welds on the fork tube on mine. It looks like they reinforced it in that area...and lightened the tube ... selling snow to Eskimos is going to be rough. That’s fine. I’m game..

Last edited:
I forgot I had the 50 yr schwinn book .. it answers the why no info but it looks like it was to secret for schwinn so little info was disclosed...here’s a pic of what I found...
6C21408A-2BEA-47BA-82A8-E2888456A42F.jpeg

742A5AEE-EDF0-41B8-8098-72A14F68A4E4.jpeg

Back