When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Schwinn DX Newbie

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Venom5sc

Look Ma, No Hands!
Hello,

First of all, thank you for all of you that contribute to this site. I have been learning a lot from everyone.

I have been very fascinated with pre-war anything and Schwinn straight bars for a couple years. So... I finally bit the bullet and picked up a very worn out looking Admiral Schwinn straight bar last year. The rims were mis-matched and junk, it was covered in rust and didn't look to be anything special so I wasn't to worried about ruining it if I decided to paint it.

20160707_115348.jpg

But after some elbow grease... I found a good amount of paint and really fell in love with the look of it so I kept cleaning.

20160708_190718.jpg
20160709_153844.jpg

It got to the point where I had to stop cleaning the back half of the bike because it was in better condition than the front and wasn't going to match. My favorite bicycle shop (where we go for all of our mountain bike racing needs) was able to get a new wheel set and a laser cut skip tooth rear sprocket to get me rolling. They were also nice enough and allowed me to raid their stash of skip tooth chain. I didn't want to put a brand new seat and grips on it so I was able to re-purpose a used fire hose.

20160828_180900.jpg
20160828_180838.jpg
20160820_140502.jpg

I really didn't care to know what the year was until I found another frame and rescued it from being lawn art. Unfortunately the paint on the second one is too far gone but I am realizing a number of differences even though both serial numbers start with B.

20170707_110547.jpg

20170707_111903.jpg

The finished bike is serial number B60652
- straight straight bar
- Admiral Schwinn brass head badge
- frame is braze welded
- built in kick stand
- feather chain guard with no flat spot for a model designation
- handlebars flair out

The second frame is serial number B39980
- red with white pin stripes (makes me think it has to be a Spitfire)
- slightly curved straight bar
- head badge has been removed
- removable kickstand
- welded frame (no brazing)
- handle bars come straight back

Both have the heart style skiptooth sprocket. Neither have the adjustment screws for rear axle adjustment (post-war). If anyone has any input on the years and models I would really appreciate it. If not, its just curiosity. When I realized one frame was welded and the other brazed, that was the trigger to ask the questions.

Thank you very much for your help in advance!

- Jason

Hello,

Unfortunately the paint on the second one is too far gone but I am realizing a number of differences even though both serial numbers start with B.
- Jason

Although this is not 1952 but a 51 catalog from a hardware store, no less. , you can magnify it if needed to see the stripes on bars like yours; here's another clue to what it is: D-25 'Spitfire' for the heart chain ring or the D-24, if ya wanna change it, Yet also during this year, this company displayed the striped bars; 'Spitfire', without the goodies; Chain Guard, tank, light, and no duck tail fender as the D-24 has, so, chose your weapon; [wink]

1951-schwinn-advert-pg-1-jpg.jpg

Last edited:
HELLO & WELCOME---- YOU HAVE A COUPLE OF NICE BIKES THERE. UNLESS I MISSED IT, I DON'T THINK YOU MENTIONED THE LOCATION OF EITHER SERIAL NUMBER--- UNDER THE CRANK (BOTTOM BRACKET) OR THE LEFT REAR DROPOUT (WHERE THE REAR WHEEL IS MOUNTED). IF THE NUMBERS ARE UNDER THE CRANK BOTTOM BRACKET , I'LL BET BOTH BIKES ARE 1946 . IF THE NUMBERS ARE ON THE LEFT REAR DROPOUT THE FRAMES ARE FROM THE 1950'S. I'M SURE SOME LONGTIME SCHWINN EXPERTS WILL WEIGH IN WITH THEIR THOUGHTS. I HAVE A "DX", SERIAL B61166 ON THE BOTTOM BRACKET AND HAVE BEEN TOLD IT'S A 1946.

I am so confused! Did they make both straight bar and the slightly curved bar frames during the same year? Did some bikes of the same year have removable kick stands and others built in?

I would agree that the frame I have with the pin stripes and curved bar could be a 52. The removable kickstand and heart shape sprocket.

Johnny, how does your bike compare? What does the head badge look like?

Thank you all again for welcoming me to the group. I really enjoy riding this bike to the point it annoys my wife, lol.

I am so confused! Did they make both straight bar and the slightly curved bar frames during the same year? Did some bikes of the same year have removable kick stands and others built in? ........................Yes

Schwinn used some of the post war serial numbers up to three times and the post war numbers are repeats of pre war numbers. Location of the SN needs to be specified when trying to identify one of these 50's Schwinns. Your SN's were used in 46, 52, 53 and 57. Where are your numbers located?

By the way, I think the Schwinncruisers.com catalog page for 1952 is screwed up and has entries from 1953. Unfortunately that site is riddled with errors.

Last edited:
Back