When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Schwinn DX Newbie

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
-
Thanks! I just ordered 3 feet. I should be good for hose cloth. I sure appreciate it though.

Id be curious on the cover and what that takes to get done. Do you have your process or pictures? I certainly wouldnt expect you to go out of your way to make one just for me.

I looked and unfortunately it doesn't look like I took any pictures, Sorry!

I work at a fiberglass shop so the materials were handy. I wire brushed the top pan and then applied a good coat of honey wax over the top surface to make sure the fiberglass did not stick. Pretty sure I wouldn't of had to do that because it typically will not bond to metal anyway but with the pitting in the metal it wasn't worth the chance. I then took a piece of scrap glass mat and wet it out with catalyzed resin using a paint brush. Once the resin cured I popped it off the seat pan and cut off the excess and ground the edges. From there I sanded down the top surface, cleaned it off, then used spray adhesive on the fiberglass piece and backside of the hose material. Once it tacked up I placed the hose material on the fiberglass. After repeating the process for the second half of the seat (hoes not wide enough) I let it sit for a day to dry. The next day I trimmed the hose material so there was about an inch border around the seat pan and then cut inward every inch or so in order to make tabs that I could tuck under and sandwich between the two metal seat pans when i put it all together. The hose material is not flexible enough to just fold over and tuck in. If I can sneak out into the garage I will take apart the seat and get pictures for you.

Two versions - First is the older "footed" version from the late 30s, second is the last one
View attachment 661318

View attachment 661319

I have an original one of the newer ones, but can't find that picture - this one was from eBay, and I believe it is a reproduction.
REC
Here's another style!
FLYING STAR 01.jpg

Back