When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Schwinn DX Newbie

-
Both bikes have the serial numbers on the bottom of the bottom bracket
In that case, you get to back step as the B is believed to be in the 1946 arena. And coincidently, I'm trying to track down B serial number DX type frame without the traditional paint scheme. Not stripes but another b/c the info in 46 is very, very limited. . In the mean time, like yours but in 49, beyond the known Schwinn made catalogs, an striped version of the 'Men's Flying Star' shows up but with different fork. I expect that, if anybody has wholesaler's catalogs from 46 and 47, a ton of bikes get I.D.-ed, yet, in the mean time, there's the 51 above and two from 1949 here to derive clues from while below it, in 1948 catalogs your flat bar might be an DB97XE equipped if tank etc, unequipped without:

1949 Schwinn catalog pg 4.jpg

1948_schwinn_db97xe.jpg

Last edited:
THOSE ARE PERFECT MATCHES!!! Thank you Jeff!

The Men's Flying Star is exactly like my second bike. The frame is the same style along with the paint scheme, crank set, handlebars, detachable kickstand and even the seat springs are the same. I thought the chain guard looked to be some add on too... that's because it didn't come with one.

The DB97XE is also the same as the picture. Frame style, paint scheme, cranks set, handlebars, attached kickstand, seat springs and truss rods (mine are missing but the top bracket is there... anyone have a rusty set?) Ironically I found a set of fenders that matched the patina perfectly. They do have the ruby reflector on the rear fender but the front fender does not flair out in the back like the one in the picture. The fenders were not fitting because of the Fat Frank tires so I took them back off for now. At least I have them if I decide to change the tires in the future.

20160828_142635.jpg
20160828_142616.jpg

i really really like the firehose seat cloth idea. How did you attach it to the rusty pan? i have a simular condition bike and need to do somthing simular here and this looks fantastic.
Did you skin the hose and sew a couple of pieces lengthwise to get it wide enough?

20160828_180838-jpg.jpg

i really really like the firehose seat cloth idea. How did you attach it to the rusty pan? i have a simular condition bike and need to do somthing simular here and this looks fantastic.
Did you skin the hose and sew a couple of pieces lengthwise to get it wide enough?

View attachment 659649

I started off by cutting the hose length wise but wasnt wide enough like you said. I then made a fiberglass cover to go over the top pan so I had something to bond too. I sprayed the back of the hose and tge fiberglass pan with adhesive and placed one piece of hose on the pan then overlapped another piece. Once it was dry I trimmed the excess and sandwiched it in between the metal pans. Not perfect but didn't want it to be. Later I took a grinder to it in order to rough it up so it didnt look new. If you need me to take it apart and take pictures I can.

I sewed pieces of hose together but sitting on the seam was too uncomfortable

Reactions: REC
Any idea what the Flying Star badge would have looked like?
Two versions - First is the older "footed" version from the late 30s, second is the last one
s-l1600.jpg

93b1_1_b.jpg

I have an original one of the newer ones, but can't find that picture - this one was from eBay, and I believe it is a reproduction.
REC

I started off by cutting the hose length wise but wasnt wide enough like you said. I then made a fiberglass cover to go over the top pan so I had something to bond too. I sprayed the back of the hose and tge fiberglass pan with adhesive and placed one piece of hose on the pan then overlapped another piece. Once it was dry I trimmed the excess and sandwiched it in between the metal pans. Not perfect but didn't want it to be. Later I took a grinder to it in order to rough it up so it didnt look new. If you need me to take it apart and take pictures I can.

I sewed pieces of hose together but sitting on the seam was too uncomfortable

I think that turned out looking very good. Id be curious on the fiberglass piece you fabricated. I have the same seat in the same condition and i am wanting to do something similar.

I used to have long section of fire hose but got rid of it 2 years ago. I wonder if they just sell that thick cloth they use for it somewhere? It seems perfect for this application.

I think that turned out looking very good. i.d. be curious on the fiberglass piece you fabricated. I have the same seat in the same condition and i am wanting to do something similar.

I used to have long section of fire hose but got rid of it 2 years ago. I wonder if they just sell that thick cloth they use for it somewhere? It seems perfect for this application.

Heck...i found a guy that sells old hose by the foot........for a bit less then $3 a foot. That should work fine.

Scale,

I have a 50 ' roll. I can send you some if you would like. Let me know how much. If you would like the fiberglass cover I could make another one of those too but it may take awhile before I can get it done.

Back