When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Schwinn DX Questions

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Been working a little bit at a time. I got the truss rods cleaned up a little while ago. They still have a little bit of crust which is fine with me, I don't want them to be confused with reproduction parts. I've still got to get the repair done to the axle hole one one side.

View attachment 1416722

Ugh. Those are a pain in the ass to braze on, and I have no idea why. One of the rods on my 41 had a vertical crack along the squished part. It must have taken me about 12 tries. I don't mean to discourage you. Yours might be easier because the break is all exposed. I probably used silver rather than brass to keep heat damage to the plating at a minimum (a good idea). There was still a great deal of polishing and cleanup afterward.

Fixed:

Every little bit helps and a step further to getting it back to better than found ;)

Yep. 😎 I've also got a nice set of Torrington 8's on their way to replace the mismatched (and beat to hell) pedals that were on the bike when I got it. I have no idea weather they are 'correct' or not (and don't much care). They've got just the right amount of crustiness to look like they've always been there:

Nice job!

As for the Torrington 8's, I don't know either but I do know that you can't go wrong with them. There are good reasons everybody seems to love Torrington 6/7/8/9/10/11. They are rebuildable, and have strong axles and aren't usually bent. My guess is they are correct, along with a couple other possible types but I can't prove it.

Got the pedals apart and in the process of soaking the bearings and cleaning up the other small parts. Just doing a little at a time. It's super hot this week in my neck of the woods so not much progress to speak of. On another note, I'm interested in a tank for this bike if anyone happens to have one or know of one for sale. I'm interested in one in about this condition:

Not much progress in the last week, it's just too hot in the garage. I've got a nice razor stem on it's way as well as a set of grips. I was doing an inventory to see what I may need to replace and I realized there's no tabbed locking washer in the headset. I've never owned/worked on one of these prewar Schwinn's with the truss rod forks.......is that washer not used because of the truss rod bracket or is it indeed missing?

Not much progress in the last week, it's just too hot in the garage. I've got a nice razor stem on it's way as well as a set of grips. I was doing an inventory to see what I may need to replace and I realized there's no tabbed locking washer in the headset. I've never owned/worked on one of these prewar Schwinn's with the truss rod forks.......is that washer not used because of the truss rod bracket or is it indeed missing?

I'm sure it makes no difference pre or post war, but all the post war bikes I have that have a stem mounted bracket for carrier or truss rods do not have a keyed washer on the head set. No bracket, you need the keyed washer.

Back