When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Schwinn DX Questions

-
Pic of crank?

Looks like it's a 3... maybe "39 and it's an error in the casting with the 3 backwards? Although most 30's cranks I've seen just have AS and two digits

I have heard of them getting the digits reversed in 39 like "93" or whatever, but I can't prove it happened. I have never seen or heard of one reversed in quite this way.

I will say this, it looks identical to my 1939 and 1941 marked Schwinn cranks. The 41 has AS&CO on the rectangular boss on the back side, and the 1939 is left blank back there. I believe both have the F mark in the square. I know the 39 does because I just looked at it. Neither crank has any reversed numbers.

I am no authority on these things, not even close, but it does not seem an impossible stretch for a crank forged in 1939 to wind up on a 1940 bike. YMMV.

I am no authority on these things, not even close, but it does not seem an impossible stretch for a crank forged in 1939 to wind up on a 1940 bike.
Agreed, especially since the first digit of this bikes serial number is a 0, so I'm guessing it was one of the first ones of the new model year.

Agreed, especially since the first digit of this bikes serial number is a 0, so I'm guessing it was one of the first ones of the new model year.

I don't think it worked like that. There are no solid records for prewar Schwinn, and bottom brackets may have been stamped before the frame build. It certainly seems that Schwinn did that after the war.

My B model "Packard" is F71444, and I am thinking it is 1941 because the crank is stamped 41. The best serial number reconstruction I am currently aware of would have it as 1940, and the numbers overlap for some years. For sale in the classifieds right now (NOT MINE) is a DX "Century" with serial F56821. It appears to be a 1941.

You can only get close.

https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/1941-schwinn-century.191204/

Back