When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Schwinn DX serial number

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

chevbel57

Look Ma, No Hands!
I have a question about a serial number on a schwinn Dx frame. I look up the serial number and it states the bike was built in 1952 but the number is under the bottom bracket which leads me to believe that it can't be a 1952 built bike. The serial number is c22324. Does anyone know if it might be a later model or did they make bikes in 52 with the number under the bottom bracket?

Maybe try REC. Roland is great with those early postwar numbers.
Good morning, and thanks for the compliment!

I'll go with the 46-7 as well the number will help as I can compare it to the others in the database I have. Serial numbers went to the rear dropout at the beginning of production in 1952. Schwinn did have a habit of using stuff up as opposed to disposing of it, but the serial number was stamped when the frame was produced based on everything I have for reference (at least though the period we are looking at in this instance). It seems that as time went on and the serial numbers were moved to the dropout, the dropout appears to have been stamped prior to the final assembly of the frame (not the bike itself). This is apparent in the many photos that are out there showing "weldover" of the first digit(s) of the number, and this appears to be more common with '60s bikes than earlier ones based on my observations.
Pictures and the visual cues help with any identification, so post that bike! This one should have dropouts that are thinner than a later frame from early postwar, and the number falls into line with other later 46 models that are listed.

Please remember this - I am NOT an expert on this stuff, but have spent an enormous amount of time studying it.
REC

I AGREE WITH WESTERN-WHIZZER & ROLLFASTER. I HAVE A POST-WAR DX WITH A SERIAL NO. ON THE BOTTOM BRACKET CLOSE TO YOURS--- ( C35461 ) THAT I BELIEVE IS A 1947. MINE HAS A DOGLEG CRANK WITH 7 INCH CRANKARMS, MORROW REAR HUB WITH LETTER "P" DENOTING 1946, RAISED LETTER "AS" SEAT POST CLAMP BOLT, SLIDING RAIL MESINGER SEAT AND I BELIEVE THESE PARTS ARE ORIGINAL TO THE BIKE.MINE DOES NOT HAVE A TAPERED KICKSTAND.

Just a note on the kickstand...
These were noted to fail (bend under pressure - like with a fat kid like me!) and many were replaced with the later model straight stand - the other items you mention are more indicative of '46 than just the stand would be.

Got a pic?

REC

I am new at posting pictures but will try a little later today. I also forgot to mention that the head badge says century on it. Does that help with anything I was told schwinn put there one schwinn badges in the 50's. Thanks to everyone with all your help.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Here are some pics

Back