When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Schwinn? Excelsior? Lets here your thoughts

-
I think this is a great bike. It’s a beautiful frame that you don’t see everyday. It’s a keeper for the right person! The correct parts are not too hard to find if your patient.

Schwinn has it labeled as the “World No. 1757” in the 1917 Catalog. They called it “A F$&¥ing Mans Machine” (please excuse my language I’m just the messenger!)
1917 Schwinn Catalog

A man's machine of highest grade throughout with extra low saddle position double curved frame, built to meet all the requirements of heavy riders or hard service.

FRAME: 20-inch measuring 2-inches less at the on account of 2-inch drop in top bar, made of One-inch, 19 gauge seamless steel tubing, all flush joints. The Trum bar in solidly brazed according to best engineering practice.
WHEELS: 28-inch.
FORK:Trussed motorcycle style, extra drop forged crown; Seamless fork-sides nicely tapered.
CRANK HANGER: Drop forged, one-piece 7-inch cranks removable without disturbing cups.
FINISH: Handsomely enameled in national blue with white head and beautifully striped in white.
FRONT HUB: New Departure.
COASTER BRAKE: New Departure or Atherton.
RIMS: One-piece maple enameled to match frame.
CHAIN: 3/16-inch roller, 1/2inch pitch.
SPROCKETS: 52-tooth front, 18-tooth rear.
SPOKES: Swaged plane wire, 36 in front and 36 in rear.
TIRES: Firestone single tube.
HANDLE BAR: Forward extension, with wound leather grips.
SADDLE: Motorbike.
PEDALS: Rubber, motorcycle style.
TOOL BAG: Contain pump, wrench oiler and tire repair kit.
GUARDS: Raised center front and rear, leather flat on front, double flat brace on rear.
STAND: Armless type, enameled to match frame.

PRICE, $60.00”

CDEE8A9C-948E-4033-B587-3A13766250C4.jpeg

Last edited:
If I’m not mistaken wasn’t Schwinn building Excelsior frames at that time? I believe Schwinn bought Excelsior in 1911-12

Back