When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Schwinn Excelsior when was this made? 1920s 1941 1957?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I have a 52 Hornet on which the kickstand would not stay up. I found that the pin that engages the sprag was sheared off. A new roll pin inserted solved the problem. There are multiple "tools" you can use to remove the kickstand. Search this site or check YouTube.
Thank you so much!

Is that Morrow hub black or just covered in grease? You can replace the kickstand and that is not an expensive part. Pretty easy to find. Early postwar bike..
Its covered in grease and many years of storage dust. I'll get to work on cleaning that up and replacing the kickstand pin.

Early postwar as others have said. Serial # location and Electro-Forged frame. Google those frames- their construction is really ingenious!

Your Morrow hub will have a date code that you can find online, too. ;)

Early postwar as others have said. Serial # location and Electro-Forged frame. Google those frames- their construction is really ingenious!

Your Morrow hub will have a date code that you can find online, too. ;)
That Morrow hub needs replacement or fixing do you have any suggestions? When you push back on the pedal to brake, it does not brake, it spins freely going backwards and then when you go to pedal forward again it slips about two turns and then grabs and then you can pedal normal.

That Morrow hub needs replacement or fixing do you have any suggestions? When you push back on the pedal to brake, it does not brake, it spins freely going backwards and then when you go to pedal forward again it slips about two turns and then grabs and then you can pedal normal.

A good cleaning and lubing! Probably just dried/gunked up ancient grease.

Bicycle cholesterol!

No surprise there...

I'm sure the front hub, headset, and bottom bracket are just as bad. The beauty of classic Schwinn, and of Morrow hub quality is all the bearings and parts can probably be reused. ;)

I'm thinking the kickstand sprag was replaced at some point. With that outie AS clamp bolt, blacked out brake arm along with the tubing joints on the crank shell, I'd say that's a 1946. As said before, there should be a date code on the rear hub shell and also there may be a casting date on the crank.

The Morrow coaster brake is typical of most coaster brakes which have "drums" and expanders. There are some videos on YouTube that will take you through disassembly, cleaning and lubing, and reassembly. Look for one on a Bendix brake, NOT a New Departure. There are some posts down in the ETC forum on Repair Tips. Different guys have different recommendations for what cleaners to use. There's a good one using a cutaway that explains how a coaster brake works. To clean and lube a coaster brake, you do not have to break it down to each part shown in the illustration

Last edited:
I'm thinking the kickstand sprag was replaced at some point. With that outie AS clamp bolt, blacked out brake arm along with the tubing joints on the crank shell, I'd say that's a 1946. As said before, there should be a date code on the rear hub shell and also there may be a casting date on the crank.
Thank you I will follow up on these

Hmmm? The guard at Wally World is telling me that I do not have permission to open my own attachment. Anyone else ever run into this?

UPDATE:
I went to a different source, it’s now visible in the original post

Last edited:
Back