When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Schwinn Exercise Bike.

-

MarkKBike

Finally riding a big boys bike
I got something a little different here, a vintage Schwinn exercise bike. I found this one last night and really did not need it. I have another one in perfect operating condition that gets regular use. The price tag was a absolute steal, and was just too tempting for me to pass up, (To Low for me to confess).

I was not interested in a 2nd exercise bike, but thought I could use a of few of the parts in my own builds. After I brought it home I stripped it all the way down. These are a few of the parts found that may become helpful.

1.JPG

2.JPG

I thought it would be pretty cool to add adjustable handle bars, and seat height to one of my schwinn road bikes.

2.JPG

A Chicago made badge in perfect condition.

3.JPG

A speedometer.
4.JPG

A absolutely huge saddle for the largest rump in the world.

5.JPG

I'm not sure yet, but I may be able to turn this cog gear into a single speed wheel set.

I also got a bunch of Schwinn screws and bolts in nice condition, a clean crank, pedals, handle bars, a speedometer and a timer., A Chicago made badge in very nice condition, a extra long seat post, a adjustable seat and bar clamp that I will definitely use. And a few miscellaneous items, (I will have to try and fashion a few of these finds into my upcoming projects).

The Schwinn saddle is indeed huge, and measures 12" wide.

Everything is really clean since this is a indoor item. I'm sure I will be able to use many of the parts. That schwinn timer is also definitely going to be mounted on one of my rides just for fun.

Last edited:
-----

From bits visible appears it may be an XR-6, circa 1976. It is near the end of the Chicago built exercycles.

By the XR-8 model Schwinn exercycles were being made on Formosa by Giant.

Have lots of fun with these bits. ;)

Saddle pillars some ot the longest to be found within the confines of the known universe...and they are graduated.

Tip on odometer/speedometer - drive unit is intended for use with 20" wheel. When employed with other size wheel readings will be inaccurate.

An optional reading stand was offered which mounts to the handlebar.

-----

Last edited:
Very close on the model, It was a XR7 that looked like this but has covered in white house paint splatter from being uncovered while someone painted.

This is not my photo:
1547256360002.png

Thanks for the info on the speedometer, I was wondering what size wheels would work with it. The Drive wheel on the exerciser measures 19" obviously without a tire. I always wondered how accurate the speedo was on these. (I suspect not very), as its easy to make the speedo go way faster than what I feel like I would be doing on a real bike outside with the same effort. (As a Example, My 70 year old mother hopped on my other one and hit I think 25- 30 Miles a hour "lol". I was hoping it might work with a 26" wheel but with your information provided it probably wont.

Last edited:
-----

Thanks for the response. ;)

The XR-7 was the first model of this series with the all metal wheel. It launched 1982.

The XR-6 and earlier used a conventionally spoked bicycle wheel fitted with a weighted plastic tyre. On the "6" there were black plastic covers which snapped over the spokes.

2d9ac0i.jpg

The "6" had launched in 1978.

There is a year-by-year chronology of Schwinn exercycles here -

https://bikehistory.org/bikes/exerciser/

In case you or other reader should require it at some point there is instruction on servicing of the Schwinn Approved Huret speedometer here -

http://hughsbicycle.blogspot.com/2012/02/mechanical-speedometer-odometer-look.html

-----

Last edited:
Back