When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Schwinn Fender thread size??

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

scale

Finally riding a big boys bike
What size thread is the bolt that threads into the fork crown from the bottom to hold the fork in the center of the fork on an old schwinn dx......probably late 40s - 50s? I have tried everything i have on hand and have nothing that works.

I attempted to hand thread my taps into there and it seems like a m5x0.9 will thread in and feels ok but im not sure this is the correct size.

Does anyone know what size this is?

Definitely 1/4-20!

i tried 1/4-20 and it was way too big. I also tried standard and fine m5 and they were way to small.....slide right in. For the heck of it i tried an m6 and it went in and tightened up nicely. I guess i will run that. It probably doesnt matter much. I am almost certain they were not metric back in the 1940s - 1950s?? Strange....but this will work.

i tried 1/4-20 and it was way too big. I also tried standard and fine m5 and they were way to small.....slide right in. For the heck of it i tried an m6 and it went in and tightened up nicely. I guess i will run that. It probably doesnt matter much. I am almost certain they were not metric back in the 1940s - 1950s?? Strange....but this will work.
Whatever works, but definitely not metric. I’ve never seen anything used for that application other than 1/4-20. Crazy.

Last edited:
Someone was probably in there before you and stripped it. If it snugs tight than you are good. Use washers in case!

Back