When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Schwinn Fore Brake on Monark Springer

-

Henryford2

Finally riding a big boys bike
Just want to make sure my logic is correct. The orientation in the picture is essentially the only way I can get the Schwinn fore brake to fit in the Monark springer. The question is does the brake stay go on the movable leg or stationary leg. If you mount the brake stay on the stationary leg it would stop the rocker arms from pivoting? If I mount the on the moving leg it moves with the wheel? Thanks

IMG_0528.JPG

no
Either location will cause the brake arm to pivot- the schwinn fork is made so that the arm stays fixed relative to the axle- you cannot mount the schwinn brake on the monark without binding the fork action- will probably bend the fork.

If you can make it work I think the worst that will happen is the fork won’t move much while the brake is activated.

I'm trying not to reinvent the wheel. Drum brakes on a springer front end is not a "new" concept. So I'm hoping someone can share some past success (or even failures) in making this conversion. I can't mount the brake stay to the fork without taking into consideration the swing (arc) motion of the springer. The brake arm moves towards the bike approx. 11/16" when the springs on the forks are completely collapsed.

IMG_0529.JPG

IMG_0531.JPG

IMG_0530.JPG

I AGREE!
THERE DOES NOT SEEM TO BE A SOLUTION TO MAKE THIS INSTALLATION WORK!
SOMETHING HAS TO GIVE OR SOMETHING IS GOING TO GET DAMAGED.
BE THE BRAKE ARM OR FORK/SPRINGER LEGS.
BETTER TO PUT THE BRAKE ON A SCHWINN.

Wes, I enjoy and embrace the quote "Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it". HD has been combining drum brakes and springer front ends for a long time. I was hoping to find some who was willing to share their success in making this change. If not, I'll eventually figure it out. Thanks.

1942_Harley_WLA_Flathead_Bobber_Bike-468x413 (1).jpg

Back