When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Schwinn Fore Brake on Monark Springer

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Try also flipping the wheel so the brake face & arm is on the right side & connected to the front pivot?

Nope, it does pivot but very little room to work with. I also noted that it seemed to make compressing the springer springs more difficult, in fact my popsicle stick broke!
Any reason you wanted to see the brake reversed, other than "what if"? The brake arm would also occupy the same space as the fender stays.

IMG_0536.JPG

View attachment 917620

Problematic one way or another when trying to rig this to work. Looks like at this point it is back to the left side mount idea. To be perfectly honest, this highly desire-able Schwinn fore brake would be better suited on a single pivot fork or rigid fork or Schwinnster Bicycle Restoration.
You may want to look into the Monarch reproduction rockers/fork that have been designed with Disk Brake mounts on them, but it would require building a new wheel with a disc hub, and then picking up a proven Avid BB5-7 mechanical disc brake setup....:weary: Good luck HF2!

No problem, I'm moving the torque arm back to the left and using the rear pivot. The only difference is I'm moving it to the outside of the fork rather than trying to stick it between the fork and the wheel. This way I can fasten the fender stays normally and all I have to do is make up a "new" shoulder bolt to mount the pivot. Easy Peasy. The fork is a Monark reproduction, the original was too bad to use, going to a disc brake doesn't hold true to the spirit of the intended build. Thanks for the help, I'll be sure to post some pictures when it's done.

Yep. Seems to be the best option in your case with your build-up. Really like the extra stop with drums, so I also run a few of them. When you are done with the rigging, show us a pic! skpc

Last edited:
Back